13 October 2023

Mob MC 309.1

Test

Chapter 309.1. Fiancée


-Masatoshi's POV-

The shocking fact strangely spread among the nobles on the very same day, causing a commotion. 

It's truly strange. There's no other way to put it.

It's been a few days since then. 

Before the match, Masatoshi was pondering the meaning of this strange phenomenon while sitting in the waiting room in a formal kneeling posture.

"I heard, son. It seems you were at the restaurant with the nobles, loudly proclaiming that Countess Takano had gained the ability to awaken others' mana with her recovery magic. And that you were with the Saint as well."

My father, Aguni Enraku, glared at me with such intensity it felt like he was about to kill me. He was sitting in a pipe chair, and although he was smiling, his eyes were not.

"Uh, I was just talking with Mion and the others. Those guys must be joking if they were eavesdropping on us. So, I'm not guilty, maybe. I'd like to think so..."

I tried to defend myself, but my father's gaze became even sharper, and I ended up stammering. 

I regretted making a scene at the restaurant while sweat dripped from my forehead. I should have booked a private room.

After glaring at me, my father sighed lightly and stopped glaring.

"Well, it's a story that will eventually spread, so there's nothing we can do. The nobles are in an uproar right now. Those who want to meet with Countess Takano are lining up at the inn, and even the Emperor's envoy got turned away because she's unconscious."

"Even the martial arts tournament's finals were ruined! Adah!"

"Hey, you."

My father shook his head in exasperation and smacked me on the head. It hurt quite a bit.

"This is an incredible story. Revolutionary magic. If the young Countess Takano can use this magic, and the children to be born in the future can use it too, Takano County won't only be secure for life but will undoubtedly rise to the top of the nobility."

"Yeah, she could just use mana awakening magic, and it seems like a new religion is about to be born. It's laughable."

I chuckled at the thought of Takano County dressing in priestly robes and casting magic on the nobles during their coming-of-age ceremony. However, my father had an extremely serious expression, placing his hand on his chin and growling like a beast.

"You're right... If she could use mana awakening magic, it would give rise to many more magicians, and the demand for magic tools would increase. It might even become a religion in the distant future, or at the very least, the coming-of-age ceremonies from next year will change significantly."

My father, already thinking about profiting from it, seemed to be considering deepening the relationship with Takano County.

"Should we send the 2nd son as a fiancé after all? He's an idiot, but he might be useful in forging connections."

"Other nobles are probably thinking the same thing."

"Oh, right. Speaking of the second wife, was it Akechi Mion? I believe that girl will be your fiancée."

"Huh, is that so... huh? Really? Why?"

I tried to brush it off casually, but inadvertently stood up from the chair in response to my father's unexpected words. The chair clattered as it fell to the ground, and I stared at my father in disbelief.

"You liked that girl, didn't you? It's a matter of a parent's heart. Be grateful."

"Is this a joke? What's your true intention?"

I screamed, and my father replied with a nonchalant expression and narrowed eyes.

"The girl who was unexpectedly labeled as a magician by Takano County. She might become a target for many nobles. She could be caught and subjected to all sorts of unfortunate things. In this situation, it's wise for us, Aguni Dukedom will offer our protection."

"So, you'll convey it as if you're doing a favor to Takano County? What about the other children who became magicians?"

"The orphanage is now under Aguni Dukedom's management. We've increased security as well. We plan to support them all the way through university. There's a bit of a parental sentiment, you know? This way, even if she's not kidnapped, a girl like Mion could end up as a bride to some corrupt noble. It's for your sake."

A typical corrupt noble was grinning right in front of me. But, I understood what he was saying. Likely, lower-ranking nobles will quickly kidnap Mion and the others, using them as a pretext for marriage.

Gray-haired-chan is famous for being kind-hearted. If we convey that Aguni Dukedom protected them, she might take notice.

"But, to suddenly become a fiancé... And a 2nd wife at that? What about the 1st wife?"

"It's obviously Sena-sama, isn't it? After getting so close to her. You didn't think of it, did you?"

"Ehh!? But, we're not that close. Holding hands and all that..."

Blushing and denying it, I was bewildered, but my father replied exasperatedly.

"Everyone around us thinks it's already settled. You two were alone in the waiting room, being all lovey-dovey. In this situation, Sena-sama can't make other fiancés, you know?"

"Eeeeh! I-I mean... I have to propose. The ring, the ring... Adah."

"Calm down. The orphans don't know about this situation, and you can take it slow."

I was struck hard by my father and ended up teary-eyed. Mion probably won't take it well. She might even resent me and think I'm an evil noble. 

Well, for now, let's propose in the guise of a fiancé and think about our next steps when we're a bit more mature. 

If I explain that it's an emergency measure, maybe I can get her to forgive me.

But still, it seems that Sena-san already had the upper hand. Come to think of it, in this world, people reach adulthood at the age of 10. Even if they're children, they won't be seen that way by others. 

That's from an outsider's perspective. But Masatoshi thinks so too. Even if she becomes his fiancé, he'd think she still likes the previous guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test