11 October 2023

Mob MC 307.1

Test

Chapter 307.1. Confused Masatoshi


-Masatoshi's POV-

In a well-maintained field, a magic-enhanced square stage measuring 100 meters on each side has been set up.

Surrounding it are spectator stands like a colosseum, where a large crowd has gathered, creating a buzz of excitement. 

Adults and children alike are eagerly awaiting the start of the main event of the martial arts tournament, the Battle Tournament.

"Daddy~, is the okonomiyaki delicious? When does the match start?"

"Oh, yes, it's delicious. You can keep eating. The match should start soon. With the hologram camera I bought recently, we can even see it clearly from a distance. I wonder where I put it."

"Is it this one under the okonomiyaki?"

"It's brand new, yet it got covered in sauce!"

Conversations like these took place as people enjoyed their bento boxes, juice from food stalls, and popcorn while they eagerly awaited the start.

In a player's waiting room with bare concrete walls, a red-haired boy named Aguni Masatoshi is fidgeting nervously, unable to stay calm, his body trembling.

"Please calm down, Masatoshi-san. It's going to be okay. It seems Mion and the others are safe."

"Yes, I heard that, but... I didn't notice, and it's my fault."

Even though she tries to console him, her words don't reach him this time. I realized that I had actually grown fond of Mion and the others. Despite their cheeky and sly behavior, they were lively, orphaned kids who enjoyed life without lamenting their circumstances. 

I was shocked and shaken when I heard they got kidnapped.

I had only heard about it 3 hours ago. Today was the first round of the finals tournament, so I had initially brushed off the interference as a typical hassle. However, upon investigating, I found out it was real. 

My blood ran cold, my spine froze, and my face turned pale.

The reason was that the world of magic is harsh to mobs. In anime and manga, even when background characters scream and die, it doesn't make you think much. 

It's just a sacrifice to show the cruelty of the enemy. But in reality, it's not that simple.

Even the nameless background characters have their own lives.

That's why I had a bad feeling when I learned that Mion and the others got kidnapped in such a straightforward manner. I was worried that they might have died.

"Please don't blame yourself, Masatoshi-san. To put it positively, it's a stroke of luck that everyone is safe. Besides, it's only natural that you didn't notice. After all, we had no means of communication."

Though he felt the warmth and smoothness of her hand as she held his, Masatoshi couldn't muster the joy he usually would, like a monkey receiving food.

"I'll give the orphanage a dedicated communication device. I'll cover the communication costs, so there won't be any problems. I'll also ban in-app purchases in mobile games."

She said it dismissively, and Sena-san chuckled. She casually brushed her silver hair back and looked at Masatoshi amusedly.

It was too close for comfort, and he blushed, but Sena-san stepped back and met Masatoshi's eyes.

"You're quite concerned about your friends from the orphanage, aren't you? It's different from your noble friends, isn't it?"

"Hmm, I guess hanging out with those guys isn't tiring, you know. We have a casual relationship,"

I answered off the top of my head, but in my heart, I immediately denied that response.

It's because I had noble friends and friends I could talk to easily.

I had lunch with his friends, played with them after school, and sometimes they went out together on weekends. 

There were slightly more girls among his friends, but otherwise, it was my ordinary life. 

Of course, this was partly because Masatoshi was the Duke's heir. 

But unlike my past life, I had also put in effort.

I had high academic achievements and was athletic, and every morning, skilled maids helped me with my appearance, coordinating his clothing as well. 

Many people wanted to be friends with Masatoshi, who was highly capable. He was aware that it was due to his environment.

Being rich, having power, and living in a ruthless environment where you would get discarded if you didn't put in effort – these factors could force education upon you. But they also allowed you to indulge in luxury. He had almost no complaints. 

I wondered if my past self had the same conditions, could I have become an excellent individual, perhaps not as extraordinary as my current self, but still impressive?

The environment could easily change a person. So, in the end, there was no real need to insist on having friends from the orphanage.

As I pondered this and twisted my head in self-questioning, the answer was just one word: "uncertain.". 

I couldn't say if I enjoyed playing with his friends from the orphanage because I couldn't clearly define the meaning of friendship.

There was nothing wrong with worrying about those friends.

"Hmm, I understand you care about your friends, Masatoshi-san."

Sena-san chuckled and playfully poked my cheek, making me feel somewhat embarrassed. 

But she quickly changed to a serious expression and began what was likely the main topic.

"But it's really good that everyone is safe. It seems the High Priest of Nidhogg, the top members, and even Duchess Ryusui were involved."

"Is it true that all of them were died? It's a bit hard to believe, isn't it?"

It was Shin's role to defeat the High Priest of Nidhogg and the top members. Moreover, if the strongest Duchess Ryusui, who was said to be mysterious in the original story, had also died, it was even more unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test