12 October 2023

Earth Dungeon 80.2

 Test

Chapter 80.2. Cross-Border


"Alright then. So, the [Phantom Wedge] skill has turned into a skill? Why did it become a skill?"

I snapped my fingers and used the [Phantom Wedge] skill. An invisible crystal appeared like a hologram in front of me, but...

[Insert Special Core and materials. Two slots remaining.]

It seemed a Special Core was required. Plus, there was a limit to how many mythical beasts I could create.

"Shizuku-san, Special Cores are quite rare, aren't they?"

[Yes, they're among the rarest of the rare.]

Wasn't it a 1 in 1000 chance? The lottery is tough. He might have to wait until the next one comes along.

Well, it can't be helped. At least the bridge is secure. I sighed and snapped my fingers to dispel the crystal. It's a pity, but there's nothing he can do.

"It's a relief that the military satellites are gone. We can move without being monitored."

Before the Dungeon, Kou might have been found even by a satellite.

I took a deep breath and regained his composure. Now, let's move on.

I waved to Kou, hopped in the jeep, started the engine, and decided to cross the bridge. Ten years of crossing borders.

The jeep rattled and jolted as it ran along the tracks. It seemed fine to drive the jeep on the tracks. The river was wide, and its flow was gentle. It didn't seem like a place where monsters would inhabit. Despite being downstream, the river sparkled, and the water was so clear that you could see the bottom.

As I gripped the steering wheel, I thought absentmindedly.

"Only 20 years have passed since the Dungeon appeared. It seems like a gentle thing for the Earth, doesn't it?"

A fish jumped from the water, creating ripples. It was a large, chubby fish. He didn't know what kind of fish it was, but he was sure it wasn't a monster.

"Arakawa River used to be full of trash during the period of high economic growth, and it was dirty with foam as if it had been mixed with detergent. Then, environmental problems became a priority, the trash disappeared, and the foam vanished. Haze fish became catchable. Humans can accomplish anything if they put their minds to it. It's impressive."

[If humans put their minds to it, they can accomplish anything. Is that what you think?]

"It seemed like it at the time... I never expected the rivers to become as clean as they are in the countryside. Now, you could probably eat the fish you catch here."

I said it ironically, and that feeling of regret was because I knew that this beautiful environment was thanks to the Dungeon, which had caused the collapse of the human world.

[Will you be able to catch conger eel?]

"Conger eel, wasn't it a Kyoto thing? It's a summer fish, right? Here, it's probably salmon or something."

I used to think Arakawa River wouldn't be like this, but now it's different. Maybe they'll find sweetfish or something. I haven't been able to get near a river in the past ten years. Clearly, the environment has changed.

I hope we can catch delicious fish, I said as I looked across the bridge.

"What do you think lies ahead?"

As we approached the opposite bank, the scene that met my eyes made me sigh.

On this side was an abandoned town, and on the opposite bank was a plain covered with forests. There were no cityscapes fit for habitation, just a natural landscape.

In the distance, I saw deer grazing in the forest. It seemed to be a mother and child, getting along well. They didn't look like monsters.

On the plain, a pack of wolves was running. Those were definitely monsters. They looked like gray wolves, but I could sense their mana.

"Do you think there are survivors ahead?"

There must be people to establish a market, after all. They might have all gotten wiped out by now.

[No, humans are more resilient than insects that evolved on Mars. I think they will definitely survive. So, here's my question.]

My cute partner smiles wickedly with a muffled laugh, but I ponder the question. What would happen in that case?

"Survive to be able to defend against the threat of monsters. Build multiple small strongholds, build fences, and create villages to protect us from monsters. No, wait. Are there going to be guys like me who keep on defeating monsters? The warrior class or something like that?"

Maybe someone with a higher skill level will show up. I had shadow crows move all over Japan, but I told them to tell me when they found a city and didn't look at the scenery along the way.

To the southeast is Narashino City. There is a city centered around a Self-Defense Forces base there. There are also outer and abandoned towns around Tokyo and Narashino City. But are there people living in between?

"I believe there are, and I'm going to go on ahead, but the warrior class?"

[It's a few thousand years after the world collapsed. Mechanical animals and such roam the streets, and the hero fights with a blowgun. Down the road, there is a beautiful warrior girl who wears war makeup and decorates her head with feather ornaments. No, let's make it an old man warrior.]

My jealous partner seems to have changed her mind.

"Why are you making it an old man? Why not make it a middle-aged guy, or a grandpa, a seasoned warrior?"

If you make it an old man, it'll be too much like me. I said it with a sly grin and waved his hand.

[Fire Snake]

As I descended to the opposite bank, I activated the magic. Flames burst out from my palms, taking the form of a snake and heading forward.

"Got it!"

In the grassy area, where the grass only grew up to his knees, he thought there was nothing there, but three wolves appeared and were engulfed in flames before collapsing.

The high-temperature flames were different from before and had more power. They burned their bodies to ashes.

"Do you think people are surviving in a place where such creatures are roaming?"

I waved my hand to extinguish the flames and squinted at Shizuku for an answer.

[I think they are. It feels like we're entering a new stage.]

"I hope it's an interesting stage."

I chuckled nihilistically and stepped on the accelerator. I, the hard-boiled adventurer on the grassland. It would be a great match.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test