05 October 2023

Bottom Tier 5.1

Test

Surprise Present (1)


The next day.

I arrived at the Adventurers' Guild with Ao-chan, who was groggy and hungover.

Our purpose was to claim the bounty for defeating the Wild Boar.

"I'll... wait on the sofa." 

Ao-chan said, her face pale, as she slumped against the edge of the couch.

I wondered if she was okay.

When my turn came, I showed the receptionist the Wild Boar's Large Fur.

"Good job. It's the Wild Boar, right? The reward is 3,000 Lin." 

The receptionist said as she handed me the money.

"Thank you."

"I see you're not registered with the Adventurer's Guild. Would you like to register now?"

"Yes, please. I'm a Thief, and the woman on the sofa is a low-level Curse User."

"A Thief and a Curse User?"

The receptionist's eyes widened in surprise. 

It was an unusual combination of jobs, and it must have been surprising that we were in a party together.

"Yes."

"I heard Wild Boars in the nearby forest is level 6... and just the 2 of you? And you're level 5?"

"We were level 3 during the fight."

"3?! That's incredible! How did you manage that? You're a Thief who can't be called a frontline fighter. A low-level Curse User who can't do much without magic or ranged attacks."

The receptionist's excitement caused our conversation to be overheard by those nearby.

"A level 3 Thief defeated a Wild Boar." 

"That's impossible. You can't survive a hit from a Wild Boar at level 3."

"If you're 2 levels apart, a direct hit from the Wild Boar's attack would be devastating for any other job."

"So, did you whittle down its HP little by little? You don't have magic or projectiles, and you fought in close quarters? You must be suicidal. You need to calm your nerves..."

"She may be low-level, but there's a Curse User in my party."

"That doesn't mean you can defeat it."

I wondered if Ao-chan could hear this conversation. 

When I looked over at the sofa, she still had a grim expression and seemed to be battling something invisible.

It was a shame that her beauty was overshadowed.

In places like this, there were often people trying to flirt, but when they glanced at Ao-chan, they all kept their distance. 

It was convenient for avoiding trouble, but also disappointing.

"It's all about how you use your abilities." 

I said that, and the receptionist tilted her head in confusion.

"?"

It was a combination I had tried over and over again, and only a player like me, obsessed with unconventional strategies, would notice its unique synergy. 

Some friends had even suggested that using a different character class would be easier, but that was precisely the point. 

There were very few players who enjoyed playing with self-imposed limitations.

From there, I proceeded to register both Ao-chan and myself as adventurers. 

The process was straightforward, requiring us to declare our jobs and current levels.

"I'll register the two of you as a party."

"Thank you."

By registering as a party, we'll also get recommended for quests that require multiple people. 

That's how Ao-chan and I became F-rank adventurers. 

Once we're done with our current mission, we'll go to become blacksmiths.

With her condition somewhat improved, I explained the Adventurer's Guild system to Ao-chan.

"If you go over there, you can find various jobs, and if you succeed, you'll earn money. The type of jobs available changes based on your level and rank."

"Yeah... Level 4 and below can't take on decent quests, so we needed to level up."

While it was safe to take it slow and steadily make progress, it was time-consuming and bothersome. 

Fighting opponents above your level efficiently boosted your experience.

Ao-chan seemed to understand this.

I headed straight to the bearded blacksmith when we arrived at the forge and requested the processing of the materials.

"With Wild Boar's Large Fur and the Fairy Tree Fragment... Can you make Fairy Boots?"

"You sure know your stuff, buddy. I can do it, but those aren't typical equipment for a Thief."

I glanced briefly at Ao-chan.

"Are you giving these to her?"

"Well, not exactly... but, well, yeah, sure."

I gave in quickly.

"You're not very good at hiding things, are you?" 

"Me? The item is okay for me?"

I had intended to surprise her, but the blacksmith ruined the surprise by grinning the whole time.

I reluctantly explained. 

"I want sensei to use it."

"Backline jobs can equip Fairy Boots, including magicians. You're one of those, right?"

"Oh, yes, that's right."

"Wait here for a moment. I'll make it for you."

The blacksmith disappeared into the back of the shop, and Ao-chan peered at my face.

"Why me?"

"I want you to use it."

"You could have sold them, you know. Why?"

"Why, you ask..."

"Hey, why?"

Had she overheard my earlier boast about protecting her and showing off in the inn's bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test