15 April 2024

Twilight Alchemist 58

Test

58. School Isn't Just About Studying, Isn't It?


Finally, the school facilities were completed.

Constructed using abundant alchemically hardened rock, it gave off an impression somewhat akin to a church yet also reminiscent of a noble's mansion, becoming a mysterious structure.

Thanks to the hard work of the craftsmen, there were many intricate decorations, making it hardly seem like a facility for commoners to attend.

Built with long-term use in mind, the school was truly magnificent.

Under Kyle's direction, Leafan took full charge of the design and construction. And it certainly paid off.

"This is... amazing."

I gazed up at the school, impressed by what I saw.

Leafan boasted proudly.

"Heheh. Pretty impressive, right? We got a lot of inspiration from the trendy architecture in the capital and incorporated quite a bit of it. And with the foundation made of alchemical reinforced rock, its durability is top-notch!"

"That's incredible. But it's so grand that it's intimidating to enter."

"Maybe just at first?"

"Yeah, perhaps."

Humans get used to anything.

Today, students and teachers are gathered in the schoolyard.

It's the new school building's unveiling and the commemoration ceremony for the school's opening.

Kyle stands on the platform and begins his speech.

"We have established a new educational institution in Golden Dawn. Its name is... Kyle Academy."

Kyle was reluctant about the name, but it got pushed through by all the major members, including Persia and me.

"At Kyle Academy, education previously only available to nobles will now be accessible to everyone in Golden Dawn. Once preparations are complete, we plan to open not only the morning session. But also the afternoon session, aiming to broaden education."

The journey up to this point has been quite challenging, but Kyle's proposed school education system is finally getting off the ground.

"The year groups will be arranged irregularly for a while, but please work hard in your studies. It will definitely benefit everyone's future. Now, let me introduce the school principal. Oblio Lernen, our principal!"

Kyle steps down from the platform, and Oblio takes his place.

I notice Ryuuko behind me, and she flinches at my gaze but quickly recovers and starts speaking.

"I am Oblio Lernen, the school principal... I am pleased to be able to learn with you all. In this school, we will have equal relationships regardless of social status."

Oblio's gaze flickers towards us from time to time, looking a bit nervous.

I hear a faint whisper from behind me saying, "Seems like someone needs some extra education. Supplementary lessons later." But it's probably just my imagination.

"Now, as for the division of grades starting tomorrow, originally we were going to split into ten grades, but after discussion, we decided to divide into three: first, fourth, and seventh grades. Ages six to eight will be in the first grade, ages nine to eleven in the fourth grade, and ages twelve to fifteen in the seventh grade. Even after turning sixteen and becoming an adult, we hope you'll continue attending until you complete the tenth grade."

If we divided it into ten grades as planned, the current fifteen-year-old students would graduate at the next coming-of-age ceremony, so we decided to compress ten years of education into three by grouping them all into seventh grade.

Anticipating this, we've been providing basic education up to about the third-grade level in the temporary school, so hopefully, it'll work out.

"Also, starting tomorrow, breakfast will be provided to those who wish."

Oblio seems trying to find a suitable tone as the school principal, not looking down on the students.

"That's right, thanks to the consideration of Kyle-sama, stamina potions of 'legendary' quality will be distributed to those who wish."

The students start buzzing with excitement.

It's understandable.

Currently, we're distributing stamina potions with reduced effects. Of course, residents can purchase them, but not everyone does. It's quite doubtful whether children should be drinking them, especially.

Due to the dangers still present in this frontier settlement, Kyle decided to refrain from distributing the full-strength stamina potions to residents.

But arrangements have been made to provide legendary quality stamina potions to those who wish.

Oblio silences the excited students with a wave of his hand.

"Now, your classmates will increase from today. Get along well."

Following Oblio's instructions, other teachers brought in the new students who were listening in the background.

The new students line up and walk in front of everyone.

Despite being a frontier settlement, Golden Dawn has many settlers. Naturally, the number of children is increasing.

As expected, among them are children of families who came here due to poverty or children of merchants who saw an opportunity. There are also children of adventurers who came seeking a place to settle. But as I look at the end of the line, my eyes widen.

A girl is standing there, alone, in a simple yet immaculate dress.

"Myrna!?"

I quickly turn to Kyle and Persia, who are lined up among the teachers behind me, but Kyle is smiling, and Persia is wearing a wry smile.

It seems like I'm the only one who didn't know.

(Hey, Kyle. Is this really okay?)

(Yes. In Golden Dawn, emphasizing that anyone can attend school regardless of social status is important, but more than that, I want Myrna to make friends.)

So, it's about helping her overcome her extreme shyness. Group living is good training, but isn't the bar set a bit high?

And what about education being compulsory? What's Kyle's plan?

As if hearing my thoughts, Persia clears his throat softly.

(Kyle-sama has already passed the scheduled graduation exam in the advanced classes taught by Oblio-dono.)

(That's impressive.)

(Yes, Kyle-sama is truly remarkable.)

(Myrna and Kyle are twelve years old, right?)

(That's correct.)

(So, they're in the same year as Ed and the Kendall siblings.)

They're in the same year as those guys.

I'm not worried about them getting along, but I'm more concerned about Myrna being overwhelmed.

While I'm pondering, the opening ceremony for the school ends, and the teachers guide the students to their classrooms.

I'm not a homeroom teacher; I'm just a visiting teacher one day a week, so my job here is done.

By now, the students must be excitedly receiving their school brooches as proof of being school students. The sounds of their voices echo from the classrooms, proving just that.

I check the classroom scene from the hallway.

Myrna seems to already be talking to the Kendall quadruplets, so she should be fine.

Feeling relieved, I head towards the principal's office.

Inside are Kyle, Persia, and the exhausted Oblio.

"Hey, good work, gentlemen... and lady."

"Craft-kun... Craft-san, good work to you too."

Oh no, I need to switch gears.

At that moment, Oblio looks up.

"Kyle-sama, Craft. You can behave as usual in front of me."

"Huh?"

"I've been informed. You two treat each other like brothers. Of course, I won't say a word to anyone else."

I feel like Oblio's gaze is directed towards the maid standing behind me, but I'll lose if I think too deeply about it.

"Um... Oblio-san. Are you really sure about this?"

"Yes. Craft even if we're not in public, you can treat me as you normally would."

"That's... reassuring, but..."

Oblio is a noble too, right?

I vaguely remember him saying he's the third son of Baron Lernen.

"It's okay. It's really okay!"

"I understand. Thank you for your consideration."

When Kyle bows his head slightly, Oblio seems flustered.

"Kyle-sama, there's no need for lower-ranking individuals to bow to me. Please raise your head."

"Understood. But I truly appreciate it."

"I understand your gratitude very well."

It seems like it's really okay to act as usual.

"I appreciate it, Principal."

"Please be polite in public."

"I understand."

I glance at Ryuuko, and she nods satisfactorily.

What's gotten into Ryuuko?

And so, the school officially begins its full operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test