08 April 2024

Shop 69

Test

Chapter 69. Home Tutor In The Wilderness


"First, let's start with the breathing technique. Try the usual rhythmic breathing method."

"Damn it."

"What did you say?"

"It's just a mishearing."

"Hmph... Get on with it."

"Damn... Remember this... Fuuu... Haaaa... Fuuu..."

I'm repeating the breathing technique, which I've become somewhat proficient at recently.

"Hmm. That's good. Now, try breathing while imagining spreading the gathered energy from your hara to the surface of your body."

"What about the rhythm?"

"The rhythm remains the same as before. Imagine it as if covering the surface of your body with armor."

Doing as instructed, I repeated my breaths, imagining pushing the energy I gathered below my navel (or so it felt) to the surface of my skin.

"It's a bit uneven... No, try breathing a bit deeper."

"Got it."

Following the instruction, as I breathed deeper, my consciousness shifted to the surface of my body with each exhale. It felt like the sensation of goosebumps. Don't mention leg hair.

"Hmm. That's good. Now, maintain that awareness."

As I maintained that state, Hagg picked up a dry branch. I wondered what he was up to. For now, my focus was solely on not disrupting my breathing.

"Not bad."

"Yeah, good."

Following Hagg's lead, Yaralai also gave his approval. I didn't understand what they were doing. Apparently, I wasn't doing it wrong.

"Akira, don't lose focus over something like that."

"Alright."

Seems like I got distracted by the praise. Like a grade-schooler. I refocused my attention.

"Hmm. Just like that. Just like that."

Slowly, Hagg approached, and suddenly, he smacked my arm with the dry branch.

"Ow! What the hell are you doing all of a sudden?"

"How much does it hurt?"

"Huh? Obviously, it hurts like hell! Wait, it doesn't?"

Huh?

Did it really hurt that much?

I checked the area where I got hit, but there was no significant swelling or discoloration, just a slight change in color. I thought Hagg hit me pretty hard, though.

"You were just startled by the sound."

"Is that so?"

Upon reflection, I did react reflexively to the sound and sight, but there was hardly any pain.

"Hmm. Seems like you still don't get it. Extend your arm."

"Alright, like this?"

In an instant, I got struck with the dry branch again.

"Ow! Seriously hurts! This time it definitely hurts! Damn it, Hagg, don't mess around!"

Panicking, I jumped away from Hagg and looked at my arm, which now had a visible swelling. Damn it, I could cry.

"Hmph. The strength is the same as before."

"It's definitely not the same."

"The strength is the same."

Suddenly, Yaralai spoke up.

"Huh? Seriously?"

"Yeah, seriously. Right now, since you didn't activate the defensive wave, so the pain got stronger."

"Huh, what's that? Defensive wave?"

"Technically, it's a defensive technique using waves... or whatever, but we just call it the defensive wave."

"Huh? What? Am I seriously using something like waves?"

"You're asking now? You even activated it during your running."

"Well, yeah, but I didn't really feel it... I just thought it was a breathing technique suitable for exercise."

"I highly doubt that... Are you smart or just plain stupid?"

"The food is good."

"That's for sure!"

The conversation veered off.

"That's beside the point. About the defensive wave earlier? Does it reduce pain or something?"

I'm quite shocked.

"Yeah. It's not just pain; it significantly reduces actual damage to the body."

"Hey, isn't that amazing?"

It could lead to incredible results if it got taught to boxers or martial artists.

"For those who use waves, it's basic stuff. But if you keep it up, you might be able to take a blow from an ordinary soldier's iron sword bare-handed."

What's that, terrifying. The situation is terrifying. I don't want to be in such a situation. Oh wait, I've already been dragged into one before.

I remember the incident where Yaralai became my bodyguard.

"Hey, can anyone learn waves?"

I suddenly became curious and asked.

"No, it depends on the inherent wave power... It got determined by the amount of wave theory. It's all about luck, but genetics play a big role."

So, does that mean I happen to have some wave power to some extent by chance?

"Then can a considerable number of people use wave theory to some extent?"

"That's not the case."

"Huh? Even if we don't know the total amount, what I'm doing is basic, right? Then most people should be able to learn up to this level."

"Logically, yes."

"Then why not?"

"Because most people in the world are poor."

I see. It suddenly clicked for me.

"I didn't realize that... So, people without money can't attend a dojo for wave theory..."

"It's also about money and time. You probably have a decent memory, but individual differences play a big role."

"Is my memory good?"

"I can't say for sure. Dwarves naturally use more than just the basics since childhood."

Comparing people is too harsh. It's not helpful.

"What about Yaralai?"

"Elf. Can't use waves."

"Oh, right..."

If you use spirit arts, you can't use wave theory. Or something like that. I don't remember the details. It's not helpful either way. Useless bunch.

"Well, whatever..."

Everyone is different, after all.

"It seems you've grasped the defensive wave concept. Keep practicing for a while."

"Got it, got it."

I hate running, but defense isn't bad, so I'll practice seriously.

And just as I started sweating all over, Cherina returned.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Looks like you're working hard."

"Yeah, well."

I took a bottle of water from the container and drank. I really want to take a bath.

"Cherina, what's the plan for the rest of the day?"

"I'm done with my tasks, so we'll just head back."

"Alright then..."

Just as I was about to ask if I could go take a bath, Cherina's attendant, Melvin, approached her.

"Miss, if you have time later, would you like to visit the lumberyard?"

"The lumberyard?"

"It's nearby, and if the products in development take off, the demand will increase. It's a good opportunity for a reconnaissance visit."

"I see. Then let's do that."

My happy hot spring plan was unexpectedly interrupted by Melvin. Not a hot spring, though.

"What's the lumberyard?"

I asked Cherina with a sigh.

"It's a lumber storage area located a bit downstream along the river. Seeing a large number of logs lined up is quite spectacular."

"I see..."

I don't think it'll compare to the lumber storage I've seen in a certain country, but it's probably rude to point that out.

So, we headed to the lumber yard.

Of course, I ended up getting forced to run along the riverbank.

Damn it!

Forced running along the riverbank. Feels like I'm going faster than when I came here.

It's just my imagination, right? It's just my imagination?!

We arrived at the lumberyard fairly quickly.

Large quantities of unprocessed logs got piled up on land, and massive rafts were tied together on the completely unseen brown river on the opposite bank, with some people dismantling the rafts and pulling up large logs to the land.

I could see humans as well as beast folk. I occasionally saw them in the city, but it's impressive to see so many of them. There were lion-headed beast folk, lizard-like reptilian types, and even those with cat or dog ears attached as a minor detail.

"There are some with a high beast ratio and some with a low ratio."

"Yes, indeed. I've heard that the ratio of beasts changes based on their contribution to the beast god, but in reality, genetics play a bigger role. It's said that as long as there's faith in the god, regardless of the target, crossbreeding is possible. But who knows if that's true?"

"Huh, interesting. Why does such a topic come up?"

"I'm not sure of the details. However, when language and bipedalism were given by the god, they became categorized as 'humans', and if they were 'humans', then they could mate with each other. That's the church's standpoint."

"Ah, so it's the church's teaching."

I nodded.

"I've heard a little from private tutors and traveling priests in the past, so I have some knowledge, but this western region has scattered small beliefs, so most people probably don't know."

"Do all religions say the same thing?"

"I don't know everything. There are many, after all. Some say some gods are wrong, but the situation of available religious beliefs in this country is sparse."

"I see..."

Even major religions like those referred to as the Three Great Gods only have one church level. And they're pretty run-down.

I won't know the details unless I ask someone related to the church. I pointed out something that caught my eye.

"Are they peeling off the bark?"

"Yes, depending on the type of wood, some come floating with the bark on, while others are peeled and then sent downstream. That bark is highly waterproof and sturdy, so it's used for things like shoe soles."

"Ah, so maybe the sandals I bought were made of that bark."

"Are they the ones you were wearing when we first met?"

"Yeah, but they didn't fit well, so I bought these instead."

I lifted one foot and showed her my hiking boots.

"I've been avoiding mentioning it, but those are very finely crafted shoes."

"Is that so? I think the long boots you're wearing are quite something too."

"Indeed, these are made by master craftsmen, so they won't hurt even if worn for months in rough terrain."

"That's amazing. These? It feels like I'm walking comfortably. They should be durable, but maybe those boots are even tougher."

No matter how good the shoes you buy are, they'll eventually wear out.

As we chatted, Melvin returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test