03 April 2024

Shop 66

Test

Chapter 66. Secrets Of Man And Woman In The Wilderness


-Third Person POV-

In a small private room at the Veliero Company, shadows of a man and woman lingered.

The room had no windows and was highly soundproofed.

The only source of light was the candle the woman held in her hand.

Placing the candle on a small table, the woman offered a seat to the man, who shook his head in refusal.

"So, what's the talk about?"

"It's not anything significant, but I heard that His Majesty the King visited here recently."

"Oh, is that so?"

In the flickering light of the candle, the woman's face showed no signs of fatigue.

"It's a well-known fact that His Majesty desires you. You should be concerned."

"Thank you. Thanks to Akira-sama's quick thinking, we were able to avoid any issues."

The dark-skinned man slowly crossed his sturdy arms.

"...I see. But things might not always go smoothly in the future, right?"

"Yes... you're right."

Finally, the redhead woman furrowed her brows.

"Don't you think... it might be better for you to leave the country?"

"..."

"Certainly, you have many important things here, but staying here may not protect them. As traders, you have plenty of destinations to choose from. And the power of this country doesn't extend beyond its borders. You two can safely escape only in this country."

"...Yes, you're right."

The woman spoke as if squeezing out her words. The man let out a small sigh heard by the woman, before she continued.

"Also, you're infatuated with him, aren't you? You could even follow him if you want."

"Him?"

"...Hey, I'm not joking."

The man was slightly irritated by the woman's attitude.

"Do you mean Akira-sama?"

"Who else would it be?"

"..."

The man sighed in exasperation. While the woman looked puzzled.

"Hey, don't tell me you're not aware?"

"Huh? W-What? No way... Akira-sama is our business partner..."

The woman suddenly became flustered in her speech. The man lightly pressed his forehead.

"...I see, well if that's the case, it's fine. But, time is running out."

"Time?"

The woman emphasized the crucial word, perhaps to calm herself.

"Yes, you know what I mean, right?"

"..."

"Soon, you should escape. Or else..."

"I won't go anywhere. I was born in this country, and I will die here. Although there's a chance I'll sink along with the ship."

"Don't joke."

"I'm serious. Traveling to various countries for business is my dream. But I've vowed to return here in the end."

"Will that determination remain unchanged?"

"Yes."

"Even if that man leaves?"

"Yes."

"Will this country remain unchanged?"

"Do you think so?"

The man was bewildered. It was an unexpected answer. He had assumed the woman would agree with him.

"What?"

"In the past few days, we've started to think that maybe we can change the country too."

"Oh... how so?"

This woman was supposed to be a realist through and through. Who had given her such dreams?

(That's just how it is.)

The man self-mockingly thought.

"I don't intend to do anything special. But, just by continuing to work diligently, maybe we can change this country."

"Business won't change a country."

"Do you think so?"

It seems like you're the one who's changed. Swallowing those words, the man said something else.

"...By the way, do you know about the Sea Dragon?"

"The giant dragon resides in the Western Midal Sea, known for sinking ships?"

The man stopped there, staring at the woman. She maintained a faint smile without moving a single eyebrow.

"...I see... I understand now. You've kept me talking."

"No, I appreciate your sentiments."

"I see... well then."

The man left the room abruptly, handling the door quite roughly. He exited the company as it was.

"..."

The woman gazed at the candlelight for a while, then closed her eyes tightly.

A gentle smile was plastered on her face when she opened them again.

It seemed a bit forced.

==========================

There was nothing particularly noteworthy about the work from noon onwards.

Since there was no need to go to the usual development site that day, it was a peaceful day without being forced into any tasks by Hagg. 

Cherina Veliero, the eldest daughter of the Veliero Company and currently the acting head, who possessed the wave of a snake coiled around her body, had managed to wrap up all the negotiations in a positive direction.

As for today, I had no role to play. I might as well have been a scarecrow. Maybe I've scared away even fewer birds, but thinking about that just makes me depressed, so let's stop.

As always, the three of us, Hagg, Yaralai, and I headed back to our lodgings after dinner.

It was peaceful.

Truly peaceful.

I prayed to some deity for such peaceful days to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test