05 April 2024

Introverted Archer 68

Test

68. Rational Duel!


"Chh... I got pushed back for a moment!?"

Shiranui, who slammed into the trunk of a tree from behind, dampened his momentum. My surprise attack just now didn't do much damage after all.

I thought I punched him pretty seriously. I guess I can't expect much from Archer's physical abilities.

"You're going to teach me? I won't learn anything from a first-year novice like you!"

Drawing his sword, Shiranui approaches again. I effortlessly dodge his strikes from left and right.

"It's tough to keep dodging like this!"

Seizing an opportunity, I close in on Shiranui. I deliver a kick aimed at his side.

Just before my leg connects, Shiranui shields himself with his arm, deflecting my kick, and smoothly slides backward, using the momentum.

Not only does he have ridiculous firepower, but his finesse is also outstanding! It's infuriatingly rational!

"If I took that hit head-on just now, it would've been bad... My arm's numb."

Shiranui grips his sword with one hand and puts more strength into his arm.

Suddenly, the sword begins to radiate purple lightning, and the lightning spreads out as if a bud were blooming.

"Oh no! Here it comes!"

When the surrounding students cry out, it's already too late. The giant slash, charged with lightning, tears through the ground like a shark's dorsal fin cutting through water.

"I can't just dodge this, can I?"

Leaving an attack of this magnitude unchecked would be disastrous for Hina and the others behind me.

"I can't replicate Twisteria exactly. But, this should do!"

I glance at the approaching purple slash and pull my bowstring taut. Suddenly, the wind starts to blow, pushing against my back.

The wind swirls around me, gradually increasing in scale.

I'm not confident in mastering Twisteria completely. If I were to pull the string with all my strength, I could unleash a devastating blow against any opponent, but the recoil would be significant.

So, I reproduce it with about 30% of its power using <Materialization>.

The storm pushes back the lightning. A spiral formed by the raging forces. Ancient people might imagine a dragon upon seeing it.

Or perhaps it's even more than that. Thunder and wind. The immense energy beyond human capability. Anyone witnessing this scene would see a 'god'.

"W-What just happened? A dream?"

"No way, idiot! Can't you see the trees around us falling? This is real!"

Listening to the students' voices, I finally looked around. Indeed, the trees have been knocked down by the impact earlier.

"Why... isn't it effective?"

Both parties are at a standstill. But it's Shiranui who's stomping on the ground in frustration.

Understandable. Every attack Shiranui unleashed got neutralized, and he received some serious damage himself.

It's probably been years since he experienced something like this, or perhaps he's never experienced it.

"Have you reconsidered your stance? What lies beyond overcoming me is victory. Doesn't that sound worthwhile to you?"

"...Yeah. I've realized that I'm in danger if things continue like this. So, I'll go all out."

The moment Shiranui said that, something strange happened.

The surroundings of both Shiranui and me began to darken as if spilled ink.

Within seconds, our surroundings turned as dark as night, creating a space that showed nothing but the two of us.

"Where is this?"

"This is a space created by my [Duel] blessing. Only I and one chosen opponent can enter here."

I see, so there's this kind of blessing too.

If no one can enter, then probably no one can exit either.

I try walking towards the darkness. Soon, I hit something like a wall.

It's a space specialized for one-on-one battles. It's perfect for Fushimi, whose personal abilities excel in individual combat situations against multiple opponents.

"So, you dragged us into a confined space for one-on-one battles. But wouldn't that put you at a disadvantage? After all, you're the one being pushed back, right?"

"No, not really. The moment I entered this space, I gained the ability to use my skills limitlessly."

What!? Then, this is totally unfair! Dragged in without consent, and with a handicap on top of that! That's cheating!

"You... Archer, right? Is that true?"

"Yes, it is."

"In that case, it's your loss. There's no way Archer can win in this space."

"What's your reasoning for that?"

"Archers are particularly weak in one-on-one combat. While Archer relies on seizing opportunities from advantageous positions, this space eliminates all advantages such as elevation differences, hiding time, and openings, which would work in your favor."

What he's saying isn't wrong. Assuming this space is like a dome, it would be quite a challenge to find time to aim with a bow.

"Even if I don't know how Archer is perceived by the masses... it's flawed as a job. Without the advantage of terrain, individual combat is impossible, and yet, in group fights, Archer overlaps with what other jobs can do... I don't know what you're aiming for."

"You seem to know a lot."

"Among the various jobs, I particularly dislike Archer. Weak yet unclear about its purpose, that's right. It feels like watching that guy, Rikimaru or whatever his name is."

"So, is the conversation over?"

He's getting excited. He's so focused on badmouthing Archer that he doesn't even care.

With this space, I can finally do what I've always wanted to do--!

"No, the conversation just ended. I'll crush you, you premature brat."

"Please entertain me to your heart's content, tasting the flavor of matured skills."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test