28 April 2024

Earth Dungeon 170

Test

Chapter 170. Takauji


Ashikaga Takauji, the head of the Ashikaga family, sat in his room drinking whiskey. Leaning back on the sofa, he listened to the sound of ice clinking in his glass.

With a carpeted floor, an antique table next to the sofa, and an old chest in the corner, the room was rather plain for the quarters of a powerful figure. Outside the window was darkness, quiet, and still.

Inside the room, the only light came from a table lamp beside him, casting a dim glow. As he poured whiskey into his empty glass from the bottle, he sighed as he watched the amber liquid fill the glass.

"It's already night. I don't recommend drinking too much. You're getting old, Grandpa."

"I'm anxious about the future. I tend to reach for alcohol when I can't see ahead."

With a wry smile, Takauji took a sip of whiskey. The straight drink made his throat burn slightly, but the alcohol lifted his spirits somewhat.

"How about it? Care for a drink? It's a rare find before the dungeon appears."

As he lifted the whiskey bottle and shook it, a figure dressed in black emerged from the corner of the room and sat on the opposite sofa, crossing his legs.

"Then I'll have one."

Taking off his black hood and lowering his mask, the man across from him answered with a smirk.

"Shall I call for glasses?"

Ringing a bell at his side, Takauji summoned the butler, but the man seemed unconcerned, merely resting his chin on his hand with an amused expression.

"Master, did you call for me?"

"Yeah, I thought I'd celebrate our new leader with a drink. Bring glasses and snacks."

"As you wish."

Bow, the butler left, and Sakimori watched him with interest.

"Do you think I've arranged for security to be called with a hidden signal?"

"It doesn't matter. Negotiations have many methods. I respect the old man. I'll go along with him."

Sakimori shrugged, seemingly unperturbed. Whether sincere or not, he seemed unconcerned. Someone as arrogant and shallow in thought as him would glare in jest, but...

Takauji instinctively understood that the man before him was capable of such things. His sharp gaze exuded confidence, and his cruel smile exuded the demeanor of a strong individual. His mere presence was a warning sign of danger.

In the abandoned town, this monster must have gradually gained power. Takauji felt fear for the first time in a while. He realized that it was because of this man that he had been able to build a city with 20,000 residents northwest of the abandoned town.

And seeing the behavior of this confident strongman, he realized once again. This guy isn't someone who would serve under anyone. And there's no one behind him. It was a bluff and bluster, behaving in a way that would deceive others into misunderstanding. This guy had hidden terrifying powers and had secretly acted to deceive those around him. Since the other three families seemed to be mistaken, he decided to remain silent.

"Master, I have brought glasses and snacks."

As the butler entered with a maid, they placed glasses and exquisite dishes, more than just snacks. Quietly placing them on the table, they glanced at Sakimori as if asking what to do next.

"I'll have mine with water. Straight is a bit strong for me."

"As you wish."

As the maid poured whiskey and water into the glass with ice, Takauji asked Sakimori with a smirk.

"Aren't you worried about poison? Do you have a skill that nullifies poison?"

"I don't have such a terrifying skill. Didn't I say? I'll go along with the old man's way."

In response to Sakimori's casual reply, the maid was surprised and spilled a little whiskey from the glass. She was inwardly shocked to hear him call himself an old man. It was natural. There was no one else in the inner city who could be called an old man.

With a small chuckle, he waved his hand to dismiss the maid's apology. When the glass was placed before Sakimori, he picked it up and spun it with interest.

Amidst the ice clinking, the butlers and maids withdrew, leaving them alone.

"Now, shall we toast, huh?"

"What are we toasting to?"

"Well, as I said earlier, let's toast to the new leader of your inner city. How about that?"

With a snort, Sakimori raised his glass, clinking it with Takauji's, and took a sip.

"The new leader, huh? Grandpa, after all you've done, you want to make a deal with me?"

Laughing, Sakimori returned Takauji's smirk with a grin.

"Because of what I've done. I think the people around me are convinced. The only thing left is the bombing from the fighter jets, but you probably won't die, you monster."

He said teasingly. Takauji smiled, his tone light, but his eyes glared sharply at Sakimori. But Sakimori, ignoring him, picked up some cheese from the table and popped it into his mouth.

"Indeed. You're calling me a monster. Perhaps you should call yourself a monster tanuki?"

"Don't use such a disrespectful tone. Normally, I'd pretend to be angry, but I can't do that with the leader. It's beyond me."

I sighed as I drank my whiskey.

"Well... I was actually thinking of giving you a condolence gift, but the inner city is more cunning than I thought. The performance at the party was quite something. It was a bit obvious, though."

With a wry smile, I nodded as I leaned back on the sofa. I had successfully provoked anger and made them think they would go to war with Ashikaga, but it seemed they had already seen through our scheme. He's a sharp man.

"I see. So you had three options, or rather, multiple options prepared. The guy who said there were only two options will be pitiful."

"Huh? The girl from the Kamishiro family? Well, she's pretty clever, but she's still got a long way to go."

An albino girl comes to mind. That girl must have been only predicting the benefits after killing Sakimori. Still so inexperienced.

"You must have excluded it from your choices, considering the drawbacks. I thought you were planning to kill me without even talking."

"I didn't think you were an assassin. I believed there would be an opportunity for conversation."

"The leaders of power cling to power and prioritize their own lives. It's troublesome, isn't it?"

With a wry smile, Sakimori takes another sip of whiskey. I schemed to negotiate with him, staking my life. There's no doubt I would have been killed if I made one mistake. It was a dangerously risky plan even for me.

I had Wada attack Sakimori's land to divert attention to the Ashikaga family. And secretly, I reached out to the executives of the Amatsuhashi Corporation. Provoked at the party to send helicopters for an attack.

Any of these could be profitable if successful. They were also plans that could cause trouble if they went well, but through these schemes, Sakimori appeared to have identified the Ashikaga family as enemies. It means I won the bet.

"If you negotiate with me, or rather, with the Ashikaga family, on overwhelmingly favorable terms, the executives of the Amatsuhashi Corporation will once again recognize your power."

"Who attacked my farm?"

"I'm sure you've already taken care of them, right? It should have been a two-birds-with-one-stone situation, getting rid of those troublesome guys. You were quite resented by the Wada family. There's no need for violence to retaliate; they're also a company with branches all over Japan. But, if they're blatantly treated like that, they'll think twice before acting."

The Wada family is in decline, but their lineage is still significant. They'll surely harass Sakimori and his wife, Serika Kamishiro. As the Amatsuhashi Corporation grows, it will inevitably have to engage in trade with the inner and outer districts. In terms of population alone, the Amatsuhashi Corporation is unmatched.

However, by repeatedly attacking the Amatsugahara Corporation, Sakimori retaliated. There are hardly any skilled individuals there anymore, and only those trembling at the thought of being killed remain. Most of the assets were sold cheaply to Kamishiro Serika after subsequent negotiations that bordered on extortion, so hindering Sakimori was impossible. With assets greatly increased, Sakimori must make a tidy profit.

"I don't understand what you're talking about, but I see. Even now, you have branches all over the place, and the folks in the inner districts have power. You must be some big shot to someone like me, who only has a small piece of land."

While Sakimori looks at me with piercing eyes, I can see him pondering. But, he waves his hand dismissively.

"Okay. You win, old man. I'll negotiate with you. I'm expecting a deal that's just calling me the head."

Having succeeded with a last-ditch plan, I, who would usually maintain my poker face without showing any signs of agitation, couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. If it had turned into a war, not only I but also my relatives might have been killed. However, the Ashikaga family is too significant to wipe out completely, and even a child could anticipate the consequences of the Amatsuhashi Corporation's future actions.

Based on my investigations, Sakimori won't get swayed by emotions. This man acts rationally and efficiently, including his impressions on others. I anticipated that talking would prevent him from killing me, but I was still nervous. Even an old man like me cherishes his life. But it was dangerous, yet it was something I had to do for the Ashikaga family.

"It's easy for you to become the head. You're making advantageous deals with all the members of the Three Families. It's no longer at a level that I can ignore. Overall, your power may seem insignificant. But if you stack it up, it's already at the level of the head. In this democratic inner town, if all the Three Families say a crow is white, then it's white. And you can provide us with that white crow."

"Former member of the Three Families, right?"

"I'll give you 10 billion as a congratulatory gift for becoming the head. Of course, under the table. Then my son can be appointed as a new Air Force General. And I can continue my second term as Prime Minister without problems."

If I give him the money, Sakimori and the Ashikaga family will realize that we have started negotiations. Then the Ashikaga family cannot be ignored. Now he has become such a wildcard. There won't be any problems with the next election either.

"Prime Minister, huh?"

Sakimori looks surprised as he asks. I can't help but suppress a smile at his unexpected expression. For him, inner district politics must be inconsequential.

"What? Didn't you know? We're rotating through the Three Families according to democracy."

"Democracy is truly wonderful. It brings tears to my eyes."

I shrug my shoulders in exasperation at Sakimori's sincere comment.

"I'll give you the Air Force identification code. Make sure your helicopters don't get scrambled even if they fly. It'll be easy for you once you become an Air Force General. And I'll become Prime Minister. How about that? It's a good deal, right?"

"You're a greedy old man who clearly lays out the pros and cons... Also, let's create a heroic tale. We've discovered survivors for the first time in 10 years in the northeastern Kanto region. They were armed and extremely exclusive. It's a matter of sympathy, and considering it's a small piece of land, declare it a special zone without interference. Let them settle down for a while as an extraterritorial area. Crows are white, right?"

"Hmm... I can't make a definite promise about that. But, it's fine. I'll handle it properly."

It's a greedy proposal, yet there are no visible drawbacks for me. It's a terrifying proposition when thinking about the future, but for now, it seems fine.

"Thanks for your splendid iridescent response. I expect a joint declaration from the Three Families within a month. Then the deal is done."

"Kukuku. Regards, Head. Be careful, since there's no name left anywhere for the head."

"It brings tears of joy, doesn't it?"

The deal is sealed. For now, I can return to being one of the Three Families, and there's no need to lag behind the Heike and Genji families. I smirk in satisfaction, while Sakimori smirks and drinks his whiskey. Watching him, I ponder.

Was this deal really beneficial for the Ashikaga family? This monster cannot be controlled. Wasn't it dangerous? But such concerns are nothing new, as I, Takauji, share a drink with Sakimori.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test