20 March 2024

Shop 60

Test

Chapter 60. A Fawn Born In The Wilderness


Lunch today was once again the head chef's experimental dish.

Although I thought the portion was a bit much for lunch, Hagg and Yaralai cleaned up, so it wasn't a problem.

It wasn't a peaceful lunch, though. It all started with a single comment from Hagg.

"I've been thinking, isn't Akira a bit too weak?"

It was a sudden diss.

I can't argue with that, considering the truth of it.

"Well... I'm not exactly strong."

"It seems like even that young lady over there could defeat you instantly."

"..."

I know. I remember Cherina knocking out bandits with the crimson chain wrapped around her body. Thinking about that scene, I couldn't help but sigh, acknowledging that Hagg was right.

"Don't you think it's a bit pathetic as a man?"

"..."

I couldn't say anything.

"Dwarf. Everyone is different."

"Hmph. But aren't you amazed at Akira's lack of strength?"

At that point, Yaralai turned away. He's too honest...

"Compared to Hagg-sama, most people would fall into the weak category."

"Hah! I'm not specialized in combat! There are plenty of people stronger than me!"

"Really?"

"Akira-sama, they are a minority. Please rest assured."

"I-I see..."

It's unsettling with so many monsters around.

"Dwarf, what are you trying to say?"

Yaralai fixed a sharp gaze on Hagg.

"Well, since both you and I are here, why not train Akira?"

"Oh?"

Yararai seemed unusually interested in the Dwarf's words.

"I specialize in Aura Techniques... no, now it's Wave Energy Techniques, so I can teach that."

"I see."

"But Akira, you are better suited for martial arts techniques, being human."

"That makes sense. Occasionally, you say good things."

Ignoring me, they both continued discussing their plan.

"Hey... wait a minute, why are you deciding things without me?"

"Akira, becoming stronger is a good thing."

"Well, it's not bad, but you can't become strong overnight."

"Well, it seems Akira isn't using any aura... no, wave energy, after you learn that, training your body will be easier."

"Is that so?"

"It's a fact."

If both Hagg and Yaralai say it, then it must be true.

"First, we need to examine the type of wave energy Akira has."

Hugg stroked his beard.

"Wave energy type?"

I didn't understand.

"Yes. Wave energy used to be called Aura, a force that circulates through the body. However, each person has a different type of aura they can draw out. Mine is the Shell Wave. Others have Strength Wave, Destruction Wave, Flash Wave, Infiltration Wave, and so on, each with different powers."

"I see. Can one person have multiple types?"

"I've never heard of that."

"I don't quite understand, but if Hagg and I have different types of wave energy, wouldn't that affect teaching?"

"The basics are the same, so it should be fine. The differences come in how you draw out and train your basic powers."

"I see."

I wished it were impossible. Looking at the excitement in their eyes, I couldn't say no.

"So, what type of wave energy do I have?"

"We'll have to examine that."

"Can't Hagg do it?"

"It's not my specialty. There should be dojos or places that can examine wave energy."

"I know of such a place."

Cherina, who had been silent until then, interjected.

"Cherina?"

"Yes. I had mine examined as well."

"Really?"

"Yes."

So Cherina can master wave energy techniques too...

"Oh, Veliero, what type do you have?"

"The Snake Wave."

"..."

Silence fell. It's too fitting, or not something one would expect from a girl.

"It seems like quite a minor wave."

"Yes, because of that, I can't ask anyone for guidance except for the basics. And even then, I'm not very good at it."

"With your position, being able to defend yourself adequately should be enough."

"Yes."

Is that level of skill considered minimal?

I'm starting to have no idea about the standards of strength in this world.

It won't be like Romance of the Three Kingdoms where someone can take on a thousand soldiers for real, right?

The image of someone like Lu Bu riding Red Hare, cutting down thousands of soldiers, made me feel sick.

"Shall we head to the dojo then?"

"Yes."

The three of them moved forward enthusiastically.

Noticing this, the two guards also approached. Since we didn't ride the carriage, the remaining two would stay behind.

I was the only one exuding a dark aura.

――――

What comes to mind when you hear the word 'dojo'?

Do you imagine a dojo with wooden floors and a hanging scroll that reads 'mind and body as one', with disciples clad in matching martial arts uniforms, practicing kata in unison...?

But the dojo in another world surpassed my understanding.

It's located near the Great Mother Earth Church, with one foot in the slums where the dojo was situated.

However, it was more in name than reality—a simple open space surrounded by wooden fences, and bare earth underfoot. 

Even if people told chickens and pigs got raised here, you would believe it without hesitation.

Within this space, rough-looking individuals were seen loudly swinging weapons, shouting, 'Dance or die!'.

Though their weapons were wrapped in cloth, implying no intent to kill, scenes of repeatedly attacking fallen opponents or ganging up on one person were far from what I knew a dojo to be.

"Hmm, practical, ain't it?"

Hey, is that all you have to say about this grim scene?

"Poor defensive skills, poor teaching."

Yaralai frowned.

"Your defensive aura seems lacking."

That's not the issue. Isn't this just plain bullying?

"What're you spacing out for? Wake up!"

A towering figure, unmistakably a rooster-like man with a Mohawk, bellowed from among the post-apocalyptic-looking disciples(?). He was orange. Was he a chicken?

Equipped with shoulder pads adorned with spikes, he would have looked fittingly intimidating, but this rooster man was bare-chested with tattered hemp pants on his lower half. 

By the way, the pants were in shambles. His muscles were voluminous, guaranteed to win gold medals in Olympic shot put or discus throw.

"When you fall, immediately reinforce your body with defensive Aura, or tackle the weakest opponent among those surrounding you to turn the tide! How many times do I have to tell you?! You fool! Huh?"

As Mohawk Rooster Muscle Man approached the beating scene, he noticed us by the fence.

"Miss Veliero?!"

"""Eh?!""

The cries of the post-apocalyptic weaklings echoed as they all looked up.

"Still as enthusiastic as ever, Master Max."

"Please don't call me 'master'! Long time no see, but what brings you to a place like this? If it's practice, I'd gladly visit your dojo or guild as before."

"No, today I've come to examine his aura."

He nodded towards me with a smirk. The roosterhead's gaze focused on me.

"...He's quite frail, isn't he?"

"I want to improve that."

Wait, what? I didn't hear that. Could it be that Cherina prefers muscular guys?

If that's the case, I need to maintain my current physique at all costs. Well, a slightly muscular body is somewhat appealing too.

"Humph, I'll train him, but without understanding his Aura... no, his Aura pattern, it's pointless."

"Oh, a direct dwarf! How enviable! If it's the young lady's request, I'll gladly comply. Let's get started right away."

At some point during the training, the post-apocalyptic weaklings had moved away from us and were watching from a distance. I was completely exposed.

I assumed the pose as instructed by Rooster Man.

"That's it. Lower your hips a bit more. Don't wobble! Are you a newborn deer?! Extend your arms, and engage your core! Idiot! Keep your back straight!"

How am I supposed to know the proper stance without prior knowledge?

After enduring about ten minutes of yelling, I finally managed to get into a position that satisfied Rooster Man. It was akin to an invisible chair. This was torture.

"Please... hurry... I can't hold it..."

"That's good enough. Keep breathing slowly, inhale deeply, exhale as long as you can, and don't lose your posture!"

Rooster Man circled behind me and placed his palms on my lower back.

"That's it, breathe in slowly... exhale..."

As I matched my breathing to his instructions, Master Max's palms grew warm.

"Now! Hold your breath! Ha!"

"Gah!"

I got thrown forward by a sudden surge of force.

"What?!"

As I tried to get up to complain, Rooster Man stared wide-eyed at his hands.

"Hey, seriously... it was real, huh..."

Max continued to mutter while staring at his hands.

"Hey! Max-san! What just happened!"

Explain why I had to endure such pain!

"Huh? I just examined his Aura, as I told you before, Why are you yelling? Just stay quiet, kid."

Wow, Rooster Man's gaze was murderously intense.

"Max! What was Akira's Aura?!"

Hag, apparently concerned, asked too. Hagg-san is amazing for not being intimidated by Max-san at all.

"This kid's aura is..."

The Mohawk Master continued.

"Spiraling."

"""..."""

A strange silence fell upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test