06 March 2024

Shop SS 1

Test

Idle Talk 1. The Ginkgo Tree Is Waiting For Spring


It was after school.

I opened my notebook in the classroom to check what part-time job I had today, when one of my classmates approached me.

"Hey there. Another part-time job today?"

The one who spoke to me was Iwamoto. While he was popular in class, we didn't really have much interaction. 

Well, I didn't have deep connections with anyone to begin with.

"Yeah. Please don't rat me out."

Although it's a prefectural high school with the lowest deviation value, there's technically a rule against part-time jobs. 

I'd get a small warning if the teachers found out, but it would be troublesome if I got forced to quit. Very troublesome.

"So, where's the part-time job today? Endo, you always seem to work at different places."

Iwamoto casually took a seat on the desk.

We don't really have time for chitchat.

"I tend to cram them in, but if there's a part-time job with a good hourly wage, I'll switch right away. There's also the risk of getting caught working late at night by lying about my age."

Working late at night in construction pays well.

By looking at my notebook, today's part-time job seemed profitable.

"It's at a general store today, helping with a midnight move-out. It's good money for a last-minute job."

Iwamoto's eyes widened.

"What's that? Wasn't it usually at a café or something?"

"Oh? Do you know Iwamoto works at a café in the neighboring town?"

Well, it's pretty much known among my classmates. 

Probably some teachers know. 

I've been working at that café since middle school, lying about my age. 

It pays less per hour, but it's an easy job. 

The manager is a good person, and I owe him.

They have enough staff today, but they asked me to come if possible. 

I'd prioritize that, but a midnight moving job offers a temporary income of 50,000 yen. 

If they got short-staffed, it would be a different story, but if they can manage without me, then it should be fine.

"Midnight move-out... We're still in our first year of high school, right? Why do you need so much money?"

Why do you have to bring that up?

"It's nothing. It's not like I desperately need it."

Ah, I need a smoke.

"You seemed to be pushing yourself quite a bit."

"I am."

I barely get five hours of sleep. But I really need the money. I can't help it.

"If Endo were a girl, would you do compensated dating or something?"

Hmm. I can't imagine. Being embraced by some creepy old guy is way too gross.

"I don't know. Apparently, the psychology of men and women is different. If I don't mind being with an old guy, I might do it. But I don't know how profitable it is."

"Rumor has it you can get over 30,000 yen for one session."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah."

That's impressive. Let's consider the reverse situation for a moment. Dealing with a really flashy old lady? Yeah. Impossible.

"I guess it's impossible for me. Isn't compensated dating just an urban legend anyway?"

It's not like I'd go as far as to say I'd do it with someone I don't like, but could I really do such a thing with someone I have no feelings for? 

If they're really good-looking, maybe it's okay even at the first meeting.

But those kinds of people probably wouldn't be in need of a partner in the first place.

"Tachibana from our class is supposedly doing it."

Doing it? Do you mean compensated dating?

"...Seriously?"

"It's a secret."

Shocking. Absolutely shocking. She's the class's epitome of innocence. I admired her. If I prepare money, could I also get someone to accompany me? 30,000 yen is a huge amount.

"Was it okay to talk about this?"

"The truth is, Takanashi found out about it the other day and apparently got her to accompany him."

Isn't Takanashi that gloomy otaku fat guy? 

I don't have a personal bias against otakus, but he's too far from being the type that girls like. 

Can you really be with someone just because you received money?

"Takanashi was secretly recording it with his smartphone."

That's scary in many ways. Looks like I might end up with a bias against otakus.

"Then, you know that group that bullies Takanashi, right?"

"Huh? Is that so?"

I knew Takanashi was isolated, but I didn't know he was getting bullied. I thought he didn't fit in with everyone else, like me.

"Endo, you should pay more attention to the people around you..."

"...Sorry."

I don't have the time or mental energy for that. Bullying is bad though.

"Well, that group found that footage on his phone."

"What's the point? It's not even a secret anymore."

Iwamoto chuckled.

"Well, that's true. But they're keeping it as a secret for outsiders."

That's awful.

"But is it really okay to have such footage?"

"It's a masterpiece. The bullying group showed Tachibana the video from Takanashi's phone and threatened her. You can probably guess what they demanded..."

It's already turning into a major disaster for sure.

"Then she went to her and said, 'Oh, by the way, it'll be an extra 30,000 yen for the filming', or something like that."

"..."

Huh. What's that?

"It's just a rumor, but she took action like that to prevent the footage from getting spread on the internet."

Wait, so she knew about it all along?

"Her response was, 'At that time, will my friend come along? Is that okay?' and she smiled refreshingly. Like a devil."

I know. Those "friends" that show up at times like this are up to no good. 

I completely abandoned the idea of asking her a favor. 

It's a crime after all. 

Yeah. Crime is bad! Ah, I need a smoke!

"...Girls are scary..."

"That's right."

Iwamoto laughed lightly.

"Endo, you don't seem to have trouble with the opposite sex, huh?"

Iwamoto said something absurd.

"Huh? I don't. I've never even held hands properly."

Well, except during school events.

"Is that so?"

"Yeah. You don't seem to have trouble with the opposite sex either."

He looks good, so yeah. This guy.

"Unfortunately, I'm not that fortunate either."

Oh well. I don't care.

"Well, I should be heading to work soon."

I grabbed my bag and stood up.

"Oh, sorry for bothering you."

There's nobody else in the classroom except for us, illuminated by the setting sun.

"Aren't you going home?"

"I'll leave in a bit."

Hmm. Well, it doesn't matter. Just as I was about to leave the classroom, he spoke again.

"Endo, are you not interested in the opposite sex?"

I turned around.

His expression was hard to read against the backlight of the setting sun.

"It's not that I'm not interested... I'm obviously very interested. Aren't you similar?"

"Yeah."

The silhouette of the leafless ginkgo tree outside the window formed a complex shape.

"But, right now I don't have time to pay attention to such things. It costs money."

The last part is both an excuse and a fact. Dates and stuff are just a distant dream.

"I see. I'm somewhat similar."

Iwamoto descended from his desk and slowly approached me.

"This is a thank-you for listening."

He handed me a small chocolate.

"Thanks."

"...Sweets are supposed to be good for fatigue, right?"

"So they say."

I popped the chocolate into my mouth. 

Was this chocolate always this flavor?

"Alright, I'll be off."

"Yeah, good luck."

Waving lightly, I started running. I have to hurry, or I won't make it.

I soon forgot about this mundane exchange and rushed to my part-time job on my bike.

==========================

At this time of year, dusk comes early.

The sky, which had been dyed red just a while ago, is now enveloped in deep navy. 

The unlit classroom is so dark that it's difficult to check the time on the clock.

The announcement informing students of the end of the school day echoes loneliness.

In the empty classroom,

She murmured softly.

"This is my best."

The branches of the ginkgo tree rustled in the chilly wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test