01 March 2024

Shop 55

Test

Chapter 55. Travels For A Meal In The Wilderness 


Inside the carriage returning to town, after getting permission from Cherina, I decided to take a smoke break. It was mentally comforting to be able to casually discard the ash outside without any worries.

"Oh, it's almost gone."

There were only about three cigarettes left in the box, which in Japan would be smoked by nightfall. But since the prices had skyrocketed, I couldn't smoke at that pace easily.

I smoked greedily until the filter was almost touching my lips, then extinguished the flame under my shoe and threw it away nearby. Doing this in Japan would draw glares. Or is it even against the law? At the very least, it's a violation of regulations.

If I were to return to Japan, I might unintentionally litter. Though according to the god, it seems I can't go back.

"Oh, if the smoke bothers you, just say so."

"I don't mind."

"I see."

Before I knew it, I had lit the second cigarette. It was unconscious.

"Oh... well, can't be helped."

"Despite your words, you seem rather pleased?"

"Please pretend you didn't notice that."

She chuckled when I shrugged my shoulders. This banter isn't bad.

Huh? What am I thinking? I shook my head to snap out of it. She's a woman. She's a woman.

"Changing the subject, can wheat be grown around here?"

Perhaps out of boredom, I voiced a question that had been on my mind for a while.

"No, it can't be grown. Why do you ask?"

"Well, because bread is a staple food, right? Normally, the plants that can be grown in a particular area become the staple food."

Or perhaps no type of grain can be grown in this area?

"Ah, that's a historical issue."

"Oh?"

It seemed somewhat interesting. I urged Cherina to continue without saying a word.

"Originally, this western region, especially the area north of the Southern Midal Mountains, was an undeveloped area. However, refugees from the wars south of the Southern Midal Mountains and conflicts around Lake Mazul to the east of this country fled to this barren land."

I don't really understand the names of the places, but it seems there was a period reminiscent of Japan's Warring States period.

"The areas around Lake Mazul and upstream of the River Reberi are fertile lands. Naturally, such lands become contested. While there haven't been any major wars, if you avoid the conflicts and move, you'll end up in this region. But most people end up settling in the independent city of Sevites."

Sevites pop up occasionally.

"Is Sevites a kingdom?"

"No, it's governed by the Three Elders' Council, the City Council, and the Citizens' Assembly. It's a very unusual form of government."

Is it a democratic organization? Well, that discussion isn't important right now.

"I see. And about the staple food..."

"Yes, you've noticed, I assume. The original staple food was bread and wheat. Even after over a hundred years, that hasn't changed much."

"I see. So, is everything imported?"

"Yes. The area around Lake Mazul has become a huge food storehouse. With a wheat production rate exceeding 1000%, wheat reaches even this western edge."

That's impressive.

"Hmm. Isn't there a limit to that?"

"Yes, there is... We've experimented with various crops like wheat and barley, but most of them haven't been successful. Recently, there have been experiments with potatoes brought in from the Midal Mountains... but the rumors say that hasn't been going well either."

"Rumors, huh? What's the reality?"

I waved my hand as if to say, "Nobody's really listening, right?"

"Hmm, Akira-sama, you can't fool me. They haven't grown at all. I directly examined the grass of Veliero."

"It's the royal family doing these experiments, right? They're quite dedicated."

"The fox knows many tricks."

Cherina chuckled. Women are scary.

"But with this climate, corn and such seem more suitable. There were plenty of weeds growing along the river, so it seems like they'd grow around here."

"Corn...?"

"And cassava."

Actually, I've been thinking about these two for a while. But I didn't bring it up since it might be unnecessary meddling. 

Plus, I might have missed the time to discuss it.

"Some varieties of corn grow incredibly fast. You can harvest them in about three weeks. The problem is they require quite a bit of fertilizer. Cassava is a type of tree that produces tubers, which is quite unusual. What's amazing about it is that you can plant its branches in the ground and it will grow, as long as you can ensure water supply, it's useful for greening."

"That's impressive."

Cherina's eyes widened.

"Cassava tubers are poisonous, so they need to be detoxified, but it's not that difficult. Personally, I don't dislike this wilderness, but it wouldn't be bad to see the scenery covered in cassava greenery."

Wait, if I ask for approval, they might come up with a "no poison" variant, right?

"Would such things grow in a land like this?"

"I'm not familiar with agriculture, but I suppose cultivation methods suitable for this land would be necessary. But if you provide water, fertilizer, and effort, I think it's doable."

"Of course. I can sell seeds and cuttings for both. But if you're doing it, might as well plant a lot from the beginning."

"Without testing first, you mean?"

"I'll be gone in a few weeks anyway. I don't know the exact schedule, but I think it'll be around about 20 days until I leave this town."

Assuming a month is around 30 days.

"..."

Cherina lowered her gaze slightly. But her eyes didn't leave mine. It was a gaze that seemed to appeal to something.

"Well, it's difficult to make a judgment on buying a large amount of something whose profitability is uncertain. You can forget about it."

"...Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Oh... how should I put it... Does every country have its own way of doing things? Certainly, there may be situations where bread and such are hard to come by, but if everyone accepts it, it's not my place to intervene, is it?"

"That's..."

"Fundamentally, I'm an outsider. But whether it's Cherina or Narnia, I've made some acquaintances. So, if helping those acquaintances improves their lives... would you believe that?"

Sounds like something a con artist would say.

"I believe you."

"Hey hey, even someone as prestigious as Miss Cherina Veliero believes others so easily?"

"I'm no longer just an outsider."

I waved my hand casually, but her eyes were straight.

"I see... well, that's true. When I join the merchant guild, I'll pile them up in the warehouse. Before I leave this town, I want to see a field of green."

Considering the timing, that's impossible, but...

"That would be a magnificent sight."

We laughed gently together.

――――

As the carriage approached the eastern city gate, Melvin, who was the coachman, spoke up.

"Miss, we'll make a brief stop."

Cherina opened the small window in front and asked, "What's wrong?"

"It's a foul carriage."

"Ah..."

Cherina frowned and retreated into the carriage, but the word struck a chord with me.

"Hey, could it be that a foul carriage means..."

"Akira-sama, there are things people don't want to talk about."

She sighed deeply, clearly disgusted.

But from her demeanor and the nuance of her words, I understood the meaning of a foul carriage.

"I see... Cherina, after this, is the schedule just the usual boring negotiations?"

"Huh? Well... it's not boring per se..."

"Oh, it doesn't matter how you put it. I'll be fine even if I'm not around."

"It would be better if you stayed..."

She's always just standing by like a scarecrow.

"I have something I want to check. Take care of it for me."

"Uh, but what will Akira-sama do?"

"Just some errands. I'll find some business that Cherina wouldn't like."

"Could it be...?"

"Don't worry, there's no need to say it aloud."

I got off the carriage and called out to Yaralai, the elf. He's been accompanying me as my guard, dressed in Native American attire, and was vigilantly surveying the surroundings right next to the carriage.

"What's up, Akira?"

"I'm going to do something separately for a bit. Sorry, but come with me, Yaralai."

"Of course."

An immediate response. He's quite the manly man, not asking any questions.

"What's going on? Where are you going?"

Hagg, the dwarf who had been walking on the opposite side of the carriage, popped up.

"I want to investigate something."

I pointed to the foul carriage, and Hagg raised an eyebrow.

"Something... Akira, that's just carrying horse manure, isn't it?"

Cherina, who had somehow appeared at the carriage's window of the carriage, nodded in agreement.

"There's no value to it."

She didn't hide her disgust.

"Don't be stupid, that's a treasure trove."

As I argued, Yaralai seemed to have realized something and nodded vigorously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test