28 March 2024

No Damage 15

Test

15. I Did Something I Can Be Proud Of Enough


"Perhaps ── you ──"

Lilith muttered something while looking at me.

However, her words were fragmented and difficult to hear amidst the wind.

She looks unusually serious, but what's wrong?

I wondered suspiciously, and that's when it happened.

"I'm not done yet..."

A D-Eater stands up before me.

This one is still alive...!

Lilith's magic did significant damage; the figure in the robe staggers.

The white mask gets cracked, and white smoke still rises from its body.

"...Kill those humans there, feed on their fear... I will recover again...!"

The D-Eater groans in pain.

The black-robed figure starts to blur.

That's bad. Is that [Teleportation] magic?

Their plan seems to be killing the people sheltered in the building, feeding on the fear, their energy source.

"Lilith, one more magic attack!"

I shout as I run to close the distance with the demons.

"No, I used up most of my magic with the last one... I won't recover in time for the next spell..."

Lilith groans behind me.

"Wait... when I recover, I'll come kill you for sure..."

Perhaps due to the significant damage or because it's inherently slow, there's a time lag before the teleportation activates.

Still, can I make it in time...?

No, I must make it.

After coming this far, I absolutely refuse to fail to protect the townspeople!

I close the distance with the D-Eater even more.

Before my eyes, the demon's figure fades.

The teleportation magic is about to be completed.

"Well done, Haruto, Lilith."

A sudden voice is heard from nowhere.

"Huh...!?"

When did they appear?

With a speed akin to a wild beast, a brown blur rushes from behind the demons.

"I'll take it from here."

It's Sarome.

Her purple hair flutters and she accelerates even more.

Her speed is unimaginable for a human.

"You, when did you...?"

The D-Eater turns around, bewildered.

It seems the demon also didn't notice her until just now.

"That speed... is she a 'Factor' holder...!?"

"Elze-style assassination technique, Onmitsuho 'Kogarashi'..."

Salome quietly announces, already close to the D-Eater.

She's doing that at a speed reminiscent of teleportation.

"Disguising my presence is my specialty. And so is the art of killing."

Salome whispers as she casually swings her knife.

Without giving the opponent time to scream in agony...

The released flash leaves a silver trail, severing the demon's head.

This time, the demon is truly dead.

The evacuation alert for the town gets lifted, and the residents, eagerly waiting in the sheltered building, rush out.

Everyone wears expressions of relief and joy.

"You did it!"

"You defeated the monster, thank you!"

"Thank you!"

We got words of gratitude and praise from everyone.

Among them are my parents, neighbors, and classmates.

I'm still too caught up in the battle to fully grasp what they said. But, thanks to us defeating the demons, we were able to protect these people, right?

"You guys are the heroes of the town!"

"Yeah, we're heroes!"

Some people shouted excitedly.

"It's kind of embarrassing."

Being called heroes really tickles the ego.

"No need to be shy. We could defeat the demons because of you."

Lilith snuggled up to me and smiled.

"That's right, D-Eater's [Spatial Distortion] magic is terrifying. If taken head-on, even humans wouldn't stand a chance."

Salome grinned.

"When Alice and I arrived, the battle was almost over, but I saw a bit. I saw you using mysterious light to block the demon attacks."

"This is the first time I've seen such a defensive magic~"

That's Alice.

"Thanks to you continuously blocking attacks, Lilith could unleash full-powered magic. And I could take advantage of the weakened demons."

"Taking advantage, huh."

I remembered how she appeared without a trace during the last battle.

"I had no idea when you arrived."

"Hehe, I have assassination skills, you know."

She says it with a smile, but it's quite a dangerous skill.

"But maybe it's also thanks to Lilith's signal."

"Lilith?"

"Remember when I shot the lightning magic at first, and the demon repelled it? It was partly for the attack but mainly to explode in the sky and signal Sarome and nee-san at the main gate. 'The demons appeared on this side', kinda message."

Oh, I see. There was such intent behind it.

"I couldn't do anything..."

Alice looks a bit down.

She didn't get a chance since Sarome swiftly defeated the demons upon arrival.

"This time, Sarome and sis were away from the battlefield, so it happens," Lilith comforts.

"Lilith, you're so kind..."

"There, there."

Lilith pats Alice's head, then turns to me.

"I'll say it again. We won because of your strength. So hold your head high."

Her kind words resonate deeply.

My chest feels warm with pride.

"Haruto, you did something to be proud of."

The townspeople continue to chant our names, praising us as always.

Joyful smiles.

Relieved faces.

Emotions of excitement, awe, surprise, and admiration — it's almost festive.

Lost in the ongoing excitement, I reflect on the moment.

This scene — what we protected together with Lilith and others.

The next day...

I woke up earlier than usual, still feeling the excitement from the battle.

Stepping outside, the rising sun dazzles my eyes.

The streets are still mostly empty.

"Hmm... what should I do?"

I ponder while stretching.

I'm recalling everything that happened.

Dying from a carriage accident.

Meeting the Goddess and gaining skills.

Fighting dragons and meeting Lilith, Alice, and Salome.

And yesterday, fighting demons to protect the town.

Last time, the dragon appeared suddenly, and I somewhat got dragged into it.

Of course, I had my own will too.

But this time, it's different.

There was also an option to run away.

But I chose the path of fighting.

With Lilith and others to protect the townspeople.

If I become an adventurer, days like these will continue.

Days of protecting and helping people in towns attacked by magical beasts and demons —

"Good morning, Haruto."

Walking towards me is Lilith.

The morning sun makes her look even more beautiful.

"Why are you here...?"

Surprised, Lilith walks up to me.

"Hehe, just felt like it. Had a feeling I'd meet Haruto."

She smiled shyly and leaned closer to me.

Her clear blue eyes gaze directly at me.

"W-what?"

I blushed involuntarily.

"You look determined."

Lilith smiled.

"It feels like you've made up your mind."

Her words made me realize.

The answer had already been clear within me.

"Yeah, I've decided."

So, I returned her smile and nodded.

"I'm going to become an adventurer."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test