20 March 2024

No Damage 11

Test

11. Because I Want To Do What I Can


"It's been a week, Haruto-san."

"I'm here too, Haruto-kun."

Behind Lilith were two beautiful girls: a silver-haired, short-haired beauty named Alice. A purple-haired, long-haired beauty named Salome.

By the way, Lilith and Alice wore the same black outfit as when we first met, with skirts and black robes over black tops that accentuated their figures.

On the other hand, Salome wore a cloak that covered her entire body.

Perhaps her dancer-style outfit was too revealing for walking outside comfortably.

"It's been a while for all three of us."

I returned the greetings.

I couldn't help but smile.

Meeting them again made me happy.

Upon seeing them face to face again, Lilith, Alice, and even Salome were undeniably cute.

"Could it be another adventurer job? Like monsters appearing in town again?"

No way monsters would attack two weeks in a row, right?

"Yes, they will."

"They will!?"

Is this town cursed or something?

Monsters referred to as "magical beasts" suddenly appear from a different space called the "demonic realm."

Their appearance time, and location are said to be random.

So they appear all over the world, but their frequency isn't that high.

Maybe once every few days.

Out of hundreds of countries worldwide, having one city attacked two weeks in a row—it's not just bad luck; it's beyond that.

"According to the Adventurers Guild's Void Radar, demonic beings, not beasts, should appear within a few hundred meters southeast of Tyraus City in three days. Specifically, it's not demonic beasts but demons."

"Demons...? Different from demonic beasts?"

"Yes, although they're generally grouped under 'magical beasts', the Guild classifies them into two types. Simply put, monsters with low intelligence are called 'magical beasts', while those with human-level intelligence are called 'demons'. They are essentially the same but classified for convenience."

Lilith answered my question.

"So, the ones predicted to appear this time are demons. Their species is called Dimension Eater. The threat level is Class A."

"Class A...?"

"Classes are how the Guild classifies the strength of demonic beasts and demons. It ranges from the strongest S to the weakest E, correlating with adventurer ranks."

Lilith continued to explain.

"By the way, the dragon from last time was Class S."

"So, they're weaker than last time?"

"If you're talking solely about combat ability, yes. But that doesn't mean it will be an easy fight."

Lilith's expression turned serious.

"The previous dragon couldn't use magic, and while it had high direct attack power like breath, claws, and fangs, it could be stopped by city walls. But this time's demon is different."

She sighed sadly.

"The Dimension Eater can manipulate spatial magic. It can distort space for attacks or even use teleportation-like spells."

"Teleportation... so, city walls won't be effective?"

Now, it was my turn to wear a serious expression.

That means we won't know where the enemy will appear.

"It's almost certain demons will infiltrate the town."

Lilith nodded.

"In other words, the battle will happen throughout the town. Even though they'll issue an evacuation order through the mayor, it's not guaranteed we can repel them. If demons slip past our defenses and reach where the citizens evacuate..."

Lilith's expression darkened as she spoke.

"It would be a massacre."

"A massacre..."

I swallowed hard.

"Demons often enjoy slaughter. Negative human emotions like fear and despair are their energy source. There have been cases where entire towns got massacred..."

A chill ran down my spine.

Someone close to me might get attacked.

Or worse, might get killed.

In a way, they're much more of a threat than dragons.

At least in terms of "defensibility"...

"Magical beasts and demons must be dealt with by adventurers of equal or higher rank. Since this one is Class A, only Rank A adventurers or above are assigned."

"Which means it's me."

Salome brightened the somber mood with a smile.

Seeing her innocent smile lifted my spirits.

"Despite appearances, I am an adventurer of Rank A."

Considering Lilith and Alice said they were Rank B, Salome must be higher.

"So, Lilith and Alice are here as my assistants. There's a rule that allows assistants to handle missions even if they're not on par with demonic beasts or demons. And you too."

"Me...?"

"I've heard about you from Lilith and Alice. You have abilities comparable to adventurers, right? I wanted you to help as my assistant in this mission. The more firepower, the better."

Salome extended her right hand to me.

Her smile disappeared, replaced by a serious gaze.

"Of course, you have the right to refuse. It's a dangerous mission, and it's okay to say no."

"No, I'll fight with you."

I grasped her hand without hesitation.

It was soft and warm.

Elusive enemies.

People in the town might get attacked.

Upon hearing that, there was no option to refuse.

I, too, have the power to face demons.

"I want to do what I can."

My determination solidified.

"Well, enough of the serious talk. Since the four of us are now a team, let's bond over dinner."

Salome, back to her cheerful self, suggested.

"...You just want to eat, don't you?"

"Because I'm a foodie~"

Lilith and Alice immediately teased her.

"Well, it's my first time in this town. I want to try local dishes. I really do!"

Salome passionately explained with sparkling eyes.

"Alright, I'll contact home. We'll dine out tonight."

I bid farewell to them for now.

My home is about ten minutes away from here.

Although I mentioned dinner plans, my parents insisted on inviting the three of them.

"Thank you for inviting us. I'm Alice Lafiel. This is my sister, Lilith Lafiel."

Alice greeted them with a warm smile.

"T-Thank you for having us..."

Lilith, on the other hand, seemed unusually nervous.

"I'm Salome Esch. I appreciate your hospitality."

Salome bowed energetically.

And so, tonight's dinner became a gathering with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test