18 March 2024

Musou Slime 59

Test

59. Let's Go Shopping


We arrived at the shopping district. It's as bustling as ever, with the voices of barkers echoing from all directions.

"So, what did you come to buy today?"

"It's not like I came for anything specific. I just wanted to look around."

Raize said so and entered the bakery.

As soon as we entered the shop following her, a delightful aroma of bread wafted into our noses.

"One melon bread, please."

"Sure, coming right up."

Behind the showcase displaying various types of bread, the elderly shopkeeper smiled warmly. It somehow warms the heart.

"Weren't you going to eat crepes?"

"I will. I'll eat melon bread too, though."

"…………"

"You're finally learning, huh? If you kept your mouth open, things wouldn't have gone smoothly."

Phew, it's a relief she didn't say anything about getting fat.

"Since we're here, why don't you order something too?"

"Good idea, then... two curry buns."

"You really are a glutton."

To clarify, I'm not going to eat both. I want to try a bit of each.

After paying the shopkeeper and receiving our bread, we walked back into the street.

"Speaking of which, Raize, didn't you mention before that you were 'rebelling against your parents by becoming an adventurer'?"

Raize nodded with a mouthful of melon bread.

"How's it now? Are things still strained between you?"

"To be honest, yes. It's gotten worse lately."

Raize paused eating her melon bread, and began to talk.

"I joined the ruthless blade, Brutal Edge, on my parents' recommendation. Dan was the lord's son, right?"

"Raize's family is a lower noble, after all."

"Yeah. So, I was only allowed to continue being an adventurer within Brutal Edge."

However, things changed. Dan died, and the party disbanded.

"So now, my parents want me to quit being an adventurer. I've been ignoring them lately, but I know there's a limit to that."

"Are you planning to quit?"

"Of course not. I'll help you because I don't want to see your... embarrassing side."

I felt a bit choked up midway, but it's fine, right?

Anyway, Raize's family situation seems quite complex.

When diving into dungeons or finding new skills, having Raize around is helpful, and I trust her as a companion.

Above all, I've found the joy of being an adventurer with her in dungeons.

If possible, I don't want her to quit.

"Oh! Look at that!"

After finishing the curry buns and falling into silence, Raize suddenly ran off.

"You're not a child, don't just run off like that..."

"Wow, it's beautiful..."

She leaned close to the shop's showcase like a child looking at a toy.

At the end of her gaze was a staff. It was about the height of Raize's shoulders, not different from the others, but it emanated a mysterious allure. The crimson gem on its tip evoked the image of an immortal phoenix enveloped in flames.

I saw its price tag under the staff, labeled 'Phoenix's Beak' with a considerable price.

"Do you want it?"

"...No, not really! I just thought it looked beautiful."

Yeah, right. Raize is easy to read in these moments.

Staves are favored equipment for adventurers who mainly use magic.

"Why don't you have a staff, Raize?"

"I don't have one. I became an adventurer recently, and besides... I might quit soon."

Raize's voice lowered. It must be about her parents.

"It's fine, really. A staff is expensive, and it's not something I should have."

"No, you can afford it, to be honest."

Indeed, the price of this staff would have been a huge sum for my past self.

But recently, that's not the case. Thanks to the slimes defeating monsters and gathering materials on their own, even during my hospitalization, the income has been good.

"Let's buy it since we're here. Having a staff will make adventuring easier, right?"

"Did you listen to what I said?! If I quit being an adventurer—"

"You probably won't quit. If you do, you can just decorate your room with it. It's beautiful."

I entered the shop and told the staff about wanting the staff.

Handing the desired staff to Raize, we walked towards the crepe shop. During that time, Raize kept gazing at the staff.

"You probably wanted it after all."

"I did! But after thinking about it..."

"You're not straightforward."

Then, Raize stood before me and stared at my face intently.

Is she going to scold me? I felt nervous.

"...Thank you. I'll take good care of it."

"Y-Yeah. You don't have to say it so seriously for a thank you."

"Shut up! Don't call me serious!"

Honestly, my partner is not straightforward at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test