18 March 2024

Introverted Archer 60

Test

60. Rational Warfare!


The students were gathered in a forest not far from the academy.

Just as I was surprised by the vast nature within the city, I was further astonished to learn this land belonged to the academy.

Divided into three factions, the students assembled at their respective base camps. 

The distant sounds of cheers and battle cries. Were they from students of other factions?... 

Meanwhile, our base camp was quiet.

"As it's time, let's begin preparations for the sports festival! Distribute the devices to the 57 members of the Blue Team from now on!"

What the teachers handed out were blue wristbands. They had square plates like smartwatches, displaying the number '21'.

Initially expecting something like cavalry battles since it was a sports festival. 

I never imagined it would be a battle royale to seize points.

Each student had 10 points, while the leader had 1000 points, which could be obtained by defeating opponents.

Since the Blue Team had fewer participants, it seemed fair that each person would have 21 points.

"Now, after 10 minutes of preparation time, let the sports festival begin!"

With the teacher's announcement, Captain Rikimaru stepped forward.

"Everyone! Thank you for participating today! Though our numbers are fewer than other factions. we still believe we can win! As for the plan, it remains as we discussed at yesterday's assembly! Let's do our best together!"

"Yes, sir!"

Standing next to me, Hina raised her voice particularly loud. She seemed cheerful, patting my shoulder and Shionora-san's to my left.

"Well then, I'll fortify this place according to the plan! Both of you, let's meet up alive! I'll be back!"

"Well, since we're the ones likely to be moving around, I think we'll be the ones returning... but thank you. Let's definitely win!"

After that, we prepared for the pre-warーー10 minutes later.

"...Gunshots."

The distant sound of the starter pistol could be heard. The signal for the beginning of the war.

"Well then, shall we go?"

"Y-Yes!"

Shionora-san and I started walking, following the forest path.

I'd be either wandering in dungeons or studying indoors. So walking in such a natural place felt good. 

Sunlight filters through the gaps between the trees. 

The unique scent of the forest flowed into my nostrils. 

Walking in a place like this on a holiday would surely make for a good day.

Glancing sideways, Shinoura-san seemed to be looking around nervously like a small animal as we walked.

"Shinoura-san, are you nervous?"

"Ah, y-yes... I'm sorry for making you worry..."

"It's not a big deal. But since we'll be idle for almost 2 hours, wouldn't it be rational to talk and pass the time?"

"T-That's true...! Then I'll talk a lot! Oh, and you can call me Fuyuka if that's easier! It's not that different from my real name."

"No, I appreciate it. From now on, let's go with Fuyuka."

Fuyuka seemed unsettled, still cautious even as she talked. Yet, she seemed somewhat less tense than before.

"Um... I know it might be weird to say this now, but I feel like I caused trouble by talking about your real strength in front of everyone earlier, so I've been wanting to apologize..."

"It's no big deal. If I remember correctly, Hina would have definitely said it while we were listening to Captain Rikimaru's love life. It's just a matter of who said it. Well, I don't really think romance is that important."

"Is that so? I thought Captain Rikimaru, who became captain to confess to his crush, was very admirable."

"I can understand having feelings for a specific opposite sex. But if you like someone, I think you should just confess right away. Well, actually, I think the whole process of confession is irrational."

"Haha, that's a very 'you' way of thinking, isn't it?"

For the first time, Fuyuka laughed. Her smile had a charming innocence, like a small bud blossoming suddenly.

"Indeed, romance is irrational. In Japanese literature, there's The Tale of Genji, and abroad, there's the troubles of young Werther. Many works depict how love troubles people or leads to irrational actions. But perhaps that's why it's so charming and attracts people, don't you think?"

Fuyuka looked straight into my eyes as she said that, then suddenly shook her shoulders and blushed.

"S-Sorry! I talked too much...!"

"No, I'm glad to hear Fuyuka's thoughts for the first time. How you perceive love is up to you."

At that moment, a sound like an explosion came from the direction of the Blue Team's base.

We stopped and looked towards the source of the sound.

"As expected... it seems there's movement at the Blue Team's base as you said earlier, Kageyama-kun!"

"Yeah. Let's go take a look."

I activated <Observer> and sensed the Blue Team's base.

Now, I hope everything goes according to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test