19 March 2024

General 28

Test

Chapter 28. Reunion With The Beloved Senpai


After lunch, I searched for a place where I could talk privately with Toshi-nii, and we ended up on the rooftop of the building where the cafeteria was located.

Of course, "Toshi-nii" is just a nickname; his full name is Toshiake Koba, but I've always called him Toshi-nii.

"Hey, hey, Toshi-nii! How long have you been stationed here? The last time we met was during that operation in the Arctic Circle, right?"

"I wonder. I forgot."

Toshi-nii casually replied to my question, puffing on his cigarette.

His indifferent attitude was nothing new, so I didn't mind it.

In fact, I found his aloofness nostalgic, almost bringing tears to my eyes.

"Back then, you were a Captain, but now you're a Colonel?"

"I'm a Lieutenant Colonel now."

"You've become a Lieutenant Colonel. Congratulations, Toshi-nii. As expected, you've climbed the ranks quickly."

"It's not that fast compared to you. After all, you're a Major Gen... Hey, what are you doing?"

I hurriedly covered Toshi-nii's mouth.

"Keep that a secret from everyone."

"Jeez... You're still as troublesome as you were kids."

As I put my index finger to my lips, Toshi-nii wiped his covered mouth with his collar. It was oddly charming, exuding a mature allure.

"It's comforting to see Toshi-nii hasn't changed from the old days."

"Your attire suggests you're still just a regular student at the academy. When we first met again, you had the eyes of a weary young soldier from the battlefield, but now they're much softer. That's good."

"Stop treating me like a kid."

As Toshi-nii roughly tousled my head, I muttered rebellious words befitting a teenage boy, but deep down, I was happy beyond words.

"Those were tough times."

"Yeah... but I was saved thanks to you, Toshi-nii."

"I've said it many times, but it was our comrades with Soul Armors who stopped your rampage. I'm just an ordinary soldier with no abilities, so I didn't contribute much."

"That's not true. At that moment, just before I crossed the line with my Soul Armor's power going out of control, I heard Toshi-nii's voice. That's why I could come back. Your unusually desperate words at that time reached me."

"Don't say that, it's embarrassing..."

Perhaps remembering those times, Toshi-nii turned away bashfully while still holding his cigarette in his mouth.

Those words were a special memory between Toshi-nii and me alone.

After learning about my parents' deaths on the battlefield and going out of control with my Soul Armor, Toshi-nii risked his life to bring me back.

That's why I am who I am today.

Regardless of our military ranks, I will always look up to Toshi-nii.

"Huh... What's this? A strong rival entering the picture?"

"What's with that? After being together for years and meeting after a few years, it seems we understand each other. Are we the losing heroines in this scenario?"

"A superior officer character who knows your past... It's a favorite in fiction, but when they appear as your romantic rival, it's not funny at all..."

Hayami-sensei, Mina, and Kotomi are watching us from the shadows near the entrance to the rooftop. They seem to be muttering something, but we can't hear it from here.

Everyone seems to be intrigued by Toshi-nii's cool demeanor.

In his twenties, a Lieutenant Colonel, and an elite, Toshi-nii has a unique aura, and I confidently recommend him as a top-notch associate.

"I want to introduce Toshi-nii to everyone."

"I'll pass."

"You still struggle with women, huh? If you don't fix that soon, you'll stay single forever, you know?"

"Shut up!"

Just as Toshi-nii lightly taps my head, I realize it's almost time to gather.

Mina and the others seem to be waiting for the right moment to approach us.

"Don't keep your subordinates waiting."

"They're not my subordinates. Right now, I'm just a classmate and instructor at the academy."

"Hurry up. I'm glad we could meet again, Yuusuke."

Huh?

Caught off guard by his sudden change in demeanor, I glance at Toshi-nii, but he's already walking towards the exit, so I can't see his expression.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

"Man, coming to this base was a great decision."

"I never expected you to know someone like Lieutenant Colonel Koba."

Suou-senpai and I, as usual, were walking alone toward the area of the base adjacent to the elementary school grounds.

"Huh? Senpai, do you know Toshi-nii?"

"When you mention Lieutenant Colonel Koba, he's a well-known figure as a tough on-site commander in the Soul Armament Unit. Even though he's not a Soul Armor user, he understands Soul Armor users well, and he has a good reputation on the field. I heard this from an academy alum who joined the military."

"As expected of Toshi-nii."

"So, how did you, a mere Private, become acquainted with such a high-ranking military celebrity?"

"Well, that's..."

I was so excited about meeting Toshi-nii again that I forgot. Right now, I'm just a Private, so it's quite strange to have any connection with Lieutenant Colonel Toshi-nii.

"Well, I have a rough idea."

"Huh? Really?"

"If you're trying to hide it, try a bit harder. Also, since we're talking about it, I'll say it now."

"W-What is it?"

Seeing me tensing up, Suou-senpai looks around and then bows deeply.

"I apologize deeply for my previous rudeness."

"S-Senpai, stop it."

"I don't know your rank, but you clearly hold a higher position, and your combat experience seems extensive. I have been incredibly rude to someone like you. Please forgive me."

It seems like Suou-senpai noticed it too.

It seems Suou-senpai places importance on the difference in ranks, more than even Mina does.

"So, please stop, Senpai. In the academy, we're just casual upperclassmen and underclassmen. Okay?"

"Does that mean you accept my apology?"

"Yeah, and as an order from your superior, continue to interact with me casually as before."

"An order..."

"It's a necessary measure for official duties. You should comply."

Unlike when Mina found out I was a Major, Suou-senpai, being serious, would likely follow along easily with this approach.

"Understood... got it."

As expected, Suou-senpai understood our intentions.

In this regard, Suou-senpai is competent.

"Yeah, yeah. I want Suou-senpai to remain the merciless senpai I met for the first time."

"You're still making fun of me, aren't you?"

"Our initial meeting didn't go well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test