24 February 2024

Shop 52.2

Test

Chapter 52.2. Let's Have A Takoyaki Party In The Wilderness!


"My boss was from Kansai."

As the batter was poured onto the takoyaki griddle, I tossed in large, diced octopus pieces. \Just the thought of using fresh, not frozen, octopus made my mouth water.

"Kansai?"

"For some reason, I was often summoned to Takoyaki parties to cook octopus."

"Takoyaki parties..."

Ignoring Cherina's weak interjection, I continued.

"Even though I got forced to make them, I received nothing but criticism, which actually helped me improve my takoyaki skills from making the batter."

I flipped the balls deftly. The key is not to rotate them all at once. 

If you cook only the outer layer and seal it, the outside becomes crispy, while the inside remains soft and gooey.

Narnia seemed fascinated by my technique.

"I'm curious about this griddle."

"Well, you're a typical, dwarfish metalhead."

"You wouldn't understand good iron if it hit you in the face."

"Not interested."

"Suit yourself."

We both turned our faces in different directions. Like children.

"But your skill is remarkable. You weren't actually in the business, were you?"

Hugo imitated my movements as he asked. Maybe he's doing some visualization training.

"I mentioned earlier that it was just because it matched my boss's hobby. But, not to boast, if I were in Kanto, I think I could open a shop."

With the seal of approval from a Kansai native, my takoyaki skills leveled up.

"Your technique is amazing. It would take me quite some time to learn, even if I tried."

"It requires practice."

If you want to make them, you have to devote yourself to it.

"Now, is this all..."

I quickly arranged the takoyaki on ceramic plates with a pick.

"Let's dig in."

"Hold on, it's not finished yet."

Hagg objected.

"Hey, c'mon! You've been keeping us waiting since earlier!"

"...You've been eating plenty today."

"That's then, this is now. If I see it in front of me, even a full stomach will shrink."

"Alright, alright."

I quickly brushed on the sauce and sprinkled seaweed and bonito flakes.

"Whoa... what's this... wood shavings from a plane?"

"No! It's like... um, shaved smoked fish."

It's hard to explain what bonito flakes are when the moment comes. Claiming it's the hardest food in the world is an old man's trivia.

"Well, whatever, the smell of this tonkatsu sauce is irresistible!"

Hagg skewered two takoyaki balls with his fork and popped them into his mouth without hesitation.

"Hey, they're hot when they're fresh."

"A dwarf wouldn't be bothered by this level of heat! This is! Delicious! Today's dishes have all been elegant, but this hearty seasoning is irresistible! Hmm, fried octopus, eel bowl, it's hard to choose!"

He continued to consume the takoyaki with his fork one after another.

"Hey! Are you planning to eat them all by yourself again?"

"The early bird gets the worm."

"With this, there won't be any confusion about whose is whose!"

"Me too!"

"Then..."

"Let's eat."

"Ah, wait, if you put it in your mouth suddenly... too late, huh?"

All four of us simultaneously popped the takoyaki into our mouths without letting them cool down, and then three of us stood up or sat down, clutching our mouths. Only Yaralai remained seated. He was sweating profusely, though.

"Ah, like this, huffing and puffing, it'll cool down."

I demonstrated, and all four followed suit, exhaling air through their half-opened mouths to cool it down.

"Ah, hot, hot!"

"It's your own fault for not listening. Well, eating hot takoyaki is part of the charm."

"Haha..."

"...Don't force yourself to speak."

Finally, all four of us finished swallowing the takoyaki.

"It's hot but delicious!"

"Yes, I usually don't serve dishes at temperatures that would burn you, but sometimes hot food is delicious."

"Ugh..."

"Did you burn your mouth? Drink some water for now. Mouth burns heal quickly."

"Ugh..."

"I'm a warrior. I'll be fine."

Really?

"Huh? Where are the takoyaki?"

Yaralai's muttering made us look at the plate, where only traces of sauce and bonito flakes remained.

"What's with that look?"

"...Dwarf... you seem to want to die."

With a fierce gleam in his eyes, Yaralai, who had leaned his thick estoc against the entrance to the room, aimed it at Hagg.

"Hey! What are you doing! Do you intend to make this place a bloodbath?"

"...It doesn't matter, please do it."

"Wow! What is this crimson lady saying!"

"I'll also support the elf..."

"Your eyes are so dark, it's creepy, little girl!"

"If only I had talent with a sword..."

"Grit your teeth and bear it! Hugo-san's cooking skills are incomparable to anyone else's!"

"Humph, you'll get your comeuppance."

Hagg prepared a nearby candlestick. (The hammer was next to the estoc)

Thus, the battle of bloodshed began. Later, it would be referred to as the Takoyaki Party of Fresh Blood.

It didn't.

"Are you stupid?! I said it's a party! There are still plenty of ingredients! I'll make them soon, so just wait quietly! Don't you dare wield those weapons again! I won't make them again!"

"Lucky escape, dwarf."

"Humph, you too."

They both returned to their seats and sat down heavily.

This is bad. I hope they stop the takoyaki war.

Shouldn't we refrain from serving this at the market?

With great anxiety, I continued to move the pick for the 5 of us.

Huh? It's as busy as the takoyaki party with the Kansai boss, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test