22 February 2024

Shop 51.1

Test

Chapter 51.1. Octopus And Bowl In The Wilderness


"After the rich flavors, it's time for a chopstick break."

What I presented was octopus sashimi.

"More sashimi?"

"This is octopus sashimi."

"Octopus?!"

Narnia exclaimed.

"You eat octopus?! Unbelievable!"

So, they don't eat octopus in this world either. 

I heard that apart from Japan and the Mediterranean, there are few regions on Earth where people consume octopus. 

Well, I'm sure there are plenty of ethnic groups that eat it that I don't know about. 

I wonder if they're also called devilfish around here?

"Octopus... raw octopus..."

"It's sashimi, but I've lightly blanched it in hot water."

"Lightly...?"

It didn't dispel Cherina's unease.

"Well, you don't have to force yourself to eat it... Yeah. Delicious."

I topped it with wasabi and dipped it generously in soy sauce. Personally, I think sashimi with lots of soy sauce is delicious.

"Well then, I'll... Oh, it's an interesting texture. Though subtle, it has a clearer umami flavor than other white fish."

Thanks for the usual precise comment.

"Well, let me see. Hmm, it's not bad, but I prefer the sashimi from earlier."

"...I, I like this."

Hag seemed to quite like it, while Yaralai seemed pleased.

"Ugh... I also...! Hmm. It's squishy."

"Don't force yourself."

"Yeah... It's squishy but also crunchy, interesting texture... And it might be tastier than I thought."

"That's good."

Since there's another octopus dish coming up later, it'll be easier if they lose their prejudices here.

"...I'll give it a try too."

Tentatively, she skewered the octopus with her fork.

"Skip the wasabi."

"I know even without being told!"

She blushed and snapped at me despite my kind reminder.

"Mm... Mm... Mm..."

She closed her eyes and chewed with determination. As she chewed slowly, her expression softened.

"This... is surprisingly... um... interesting taste."

"Interesting taste?"

"I can't find the right words to describe it. The texture is unique, and I can't tell if the flavor is subtle or rich."

"It's subtle but quite flavorful."

"Yeah... It feels somewhat similar to shabu-shabu."

Now that she mentioned it, it does feel that way. 

But if this continues, shabu-shabu might become synonymous with fish.

Next time, I'll have to break that stereotype with meat shabu-shabu. Though I'm not sure if I'll stay in this country long enough to do that.

"Well, you don't have to force yourself to eat it, and besides, the next octopus dish I'll serve is the main event."

"There's more?"

"Well, hold on, let's start with this first."

And with great anticipation, what I presented before them was...

Ta-da! Ta-da! Ta-da!

Anagodon!

Considering the taste, this would probably be the most popular dish among foreigners.

It's odd to say foreigners. I'm the foreigner here. Yeah.

"What's this?"

"It's anago-don. It's eel simmered in sauce served over rice, topped with a special sauce. The proper way to eat it is to greedily devour it with chopsticks or a spoon."

"Eel... that snake-like thing..."

Cherina's expression turned distinctly unpleasant.

"If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it... but you'll regret it."

"Elves eat snakes. No problem."

"It's not actually a snake... This is how you eat it!"

I picked up the bowl, brought it to my mouth, and dug in with my chopsticks. 

The tender, sweet-savory eel collapsed onto the rice, blended perfectly, and rolled into my mouth.

"Wow! Delicious!"

This is it! The feeling of eating a bowl after a long time! Irresistible!

"Well then... (Nom nom) Delicious."

Yaralai also ate in the same way and expressed admiration. It seems he liked it since she continued eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test