17 February 2024

Shop 48.1

Test

Chapter 48.1. Three Hours Of Cooking In The Wilderness


I was speechless when I saw the kitchen.

The kitchen was very spacious, with plenty of ovens, and tools such as pots and pans. There was even a small sink.

But that was all there was.

Well, come to think of it, it was to be expected. There were no microwaves, ovens, or toasters. 

Moreover, while there were multiple ovens, they were all the type that required wood for fuel, making it impossible to adjust the heat.

This might be more challenging than I thought.

"Ah, Yaralai. Sorry, but could you call Hagg? It's safe here."

"Got it."

"Don't fight."

"...I will do my best."

Please deliver results.

"Well then, let's begin."

First, let's check the tools.

There's a large and impressive cutting board, so that's not a problem. As for knives, there are some. They were splendid knives with terrifying sharpness. Additionally, there was clear water in a bottle. But I want to use my own water.

I focus on the ceramic water container on the sink. It's placed at eye level, but near the bottom of the bottle, there's a wooden cork, and removing it reveals a simple water supply system where water flows out.

I decide to transfer all the water to another bottle first, then temporarily store the ceramic water container and purchase water in it.

The capacity of the ceramic water container was about 15 liters, so I bought 20 liters and distributed the remaining 5 liters into pots and bottles.

"Oh, there's a sieve, and there's also a large and splendid iron pot that seems suitable for frying."

With this, I should be fine without preparing too many small items.

I'll leave sashimi for later and start with miso soup and fried chicken.

As I begin to efficiently prepare the ingredients, Cherina stops me.

"What's up?"

"Please wait a moment. The head chef will be here soon."

"Huh, won't it be difficult to use the containers if there are people around?"

"Either way, I think Mr. Hagg and Mr. Yaralai will be watching."

That's true.

"Got it. How long do we have to wait?"

"Sorry to keep you waiting."

Without needing to ask, a man in a white chef's outfit, looking every bit like a chef, appears from the back.

"Akira-sama, this is Chef Hugo of the Velierro family. He is currently in charge of the culinary research for the guild as well."

"Hello, Akira-sama. Thank you very much for teaching me the frying technique. I'm still studying it every day."

Chef Hugo extends his hand, and I shake it.

"I heard you'll teach us a new cooking technique today."

"I'm not sure if it's new. I just wanted to try the cooking method from my hometown."

"Well, that's fine. If I can learn anything, that's enough."

He seems like a humble person.

"I hope it's helpful."

"Yes. Oh, and you don't need to use honorifics with me. I've heard enough about you from Miss Cherina. Please speak to me in your usual tone."

"But..."

It wouldn't be right to simply comply with that. And I'm puzzled, but Cherina chimes in.

"Akira-sama, it's fine if it's Hugo."

Cherina smiles, and Hugo also bows with a smile.

"Okay, understood. Then let's get started."

"Yes, please."

Hugo smiles kindly. Is this person's true nature, or is it a means to deceive others? At this point, I can't tell. Since Cherina has given permission, I won't worry about it.

Now, let's fillet the fish.

Let's start with horse mackerel.

"Oh, I forgot. I haven't paid for the ingredients yet. Cherina, how much is it?"

"We'll provide the ingredients. We'll also cover the cost if there's anything else you need."

"But basically, it's for me and Hagg to eat, right?"

"It's for Hugo's learning."

Hmm. Is it okay to take advantage of this?

Honestly, it would be helpful to have them cover the expenses since there will be a lot of small purchases. I lean in close to Cherina's ear.

"Is it okay? It might be expensive."

"No problem."

She seemed a bit flushed, but that might be the reflection from her red outfit.

"Okay, then I'll settle the bill later."

"Yes."

"So, shall we begin now?"

I take the horse mackerel from the bucket and start filleting them one by one.

"Oh, what splendid skill."

Hugo marvels at my knife work.

"Yes, aren't I almost like a head chef?"

"...No, I've never filleted like that before."

He seems to eat fish regularly, but he doesn't fillet them into three pieces.

I salt and pepper the filleted horse mackerel and coat them with potato starch.

I put oil in the pot I prepared and heat it up. However, the stove installed in this kitchen heats up to boiling point.

"It's difficult to adjust the temperature... Hugo-san, I want to lower the heat a bit..."

"Lower the heat...? ...How about this?"

Hugo reduces the firewood to weaken the flames, but it's still strong.

"No good...oh, right, why not use a hibachi for times like this?"

I need to test the charcoal first. I hurriedly ask for a hibachi and charcoal to be brought in. But since it's charcoal, it takes quite a while for the fire to spread properly.

"It takes time...maybe wood would be better after all?"

Watching the whole process, Cherina tilts her head.

"Maybe...but as you can see, there's no smoke, right? The ingredients won't pick up any smell."

"I see."

"Well, that's good."

Cherina's indifferent voice contrasts with the chef who leans forward and peers into the hibachi with interest.

"It's dangerous to get too close. The fire isn't lit, but the heat is intense."

Upon hearing that, Hugo moves his hand back and forth and nods.

"It seems the heat reaches far despite its appearance."

"Yes, so you only need a little charcoal for low heat."

"Since the young lady probably only knows large kitchens like this one and those related to the guild, she might not understand the advantage of having less smoke, right?"

Hugo turns to Cherina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test