07 February 2024

Shop 45.4

Test

Chapter 45.4. Dinner Reservation In The Wilderness


It doesn't seem to click. I guess my analogy was off. It's a bit late now.

"A new type of business has emerged from this country. By further refining our expertise here, we can open new branches in other countries and increase profits even more. If we profit, the country becomes richer, and the people who use public baths become wealthier, right?"

"I sort of understand, but... I don't think ordinary citizens have enough extra money to use public bath facilities."

"As businesses diversify and increase in number, there will inevitably be a manpower shortage. When that happens, more job opportunities will arise, and citizens' incomes will definitely increase. And they'll spend their increased income in stores. Remember when we talked about taxes? By lowering taxes, you increase the number of people and products, ultimately raising tax revenue."

"Of course, I remember."

"It's not the same as tax cuts, but when there are more things people can do and fewer regulations, they will inevitably start taking on new challenges. Well, there will certainly be a lot of failures. But that's their responsibility."

"It seems risky."

"...I won't deny that."

That's how a free market works. Not saying it's right. There's also the possibility that it will result in the proliferation of black companies.

"Well, forget I said anything foolish."

"It's complicated."

"Sorry. Anyway, we don't have the means to change how this country operates. We'll just do our best within the current system."

"...”

I thought I'd end it lightly, but Cherina fell into contemplation. Maybe this wasn't the right topic for small talk. Personally, I find these kinds of discussions interesting. What's interesting about them is that since you can't change the country anyway, you can talk about it irresponsibly. If it were a topic where I could intervene, it would only be exhausting and not interesting.

"Oh, right. Do you know any good fish markets?"

Cherina seemed like she might get tired of this conversation if it went on too long, so I decided to change the subject.

"Huh?"

Seems like she couldn't keep up with the sudden change in topic.

"I thought we might cook some fish for dinner. I'd like to have some good fish if possible. Can you recommend a good shop?"

"Is that so? But fish for dinner? I think it might go bad."

We don't have refrigerators or anything.

"I see, then we might not be able to get good fish..."

"Usually, fish is obtained in the morning and eaten by noon. Nobles use arcanists to maintain freshness, though."

"I see. That's convenient."

"There's a technique in arcanism where you freeze water. There are also air refrigerators, but they're very expensive, and I've hardly ever dealt with them."

"I'd like to have one."

"It's not something an individual can afford."

"If you could make a lot of ice, transporting fish would be easier."

"Even if you have air refrigerators, it's not easy to make a large amount of ice, you know?"

I was given a cold stare.

"I see."

I decided to play dumb.

"That's right."

"Oh well, if I can't get it, there's nothing I can do."

I wanted to try local ingredients, but I can just buy them at the SHOP.

"No, you can get it."

"Huh?"

"Our company's ships go fishing regularly, so you can get it from there."

"But you said before that you don't sell directly to individuals."

"Akira-sama is practically family. It's fine."

"I see."

I never thought of myself as one of this company's people, but if I can use employee privileges, I'll take advantage of it.

"By the way, you mentioned cooking earlier?"

"Didn't I say it during the fry? But yeah, I cook normally. It's weird, but even Hugg and the people at the inn found it strange."

"That's understandable. It's rare for a man who's not a chef to cook."

"Yeah, seems like it. It's not a crime, is it?"

"No, there's no law against it, but I think it's unusual."

"Well, I want to cook tonight, so sell me some fish."

"Okay..."

Cherina paused slightly there.

"There's a condition."

"What is it?"

It better not be another unreasonable request like becoming a consultant.

"We'll provide the fish, but we want you to cook it at the company cafeteria."

"Here?"

"Yes."

Is there a reason for that?

"I don't mind, but other people will come too, at least Hugg will come for dinner, and probably Yararai too."

I don't know if Narnia, the inn's poster girl, will come, but she might.

"That's fine. You can also use the dining table."

"That's appreciated, but..."

"Oh, please allow me to join you as well."

"It's a man's amateur cooking, you know?"

"No problem."

"I see... Then I'll take your word for it."

"Understood."

I'm not sure what Cherina's aiming for, but maybe she wants to try something different once in a while. I'll do my best not to disappoint her.

Just as the conversation was wrapping up, there was a knock on the door.

"I'm coming in."

Yararai happened to come back at just the right time.

It was so well-timed that I suspected he'd been eavesdropping.

But he wouldn't do something like that, would he?

I switched gears.

"What's up this afternoon?"

Work, work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test