11 February 2024

General 8.1

Test

Chapter 8.1. Is the School Director My Former Boss And Now My Subordinate?


"Excuse me."

I walked past the instructor's office and knocked on the door of the school director's office.

"Come in."

A familiar deep voice echoed from beyond the door.

"Well, it's been a while, Yuusuke."

"Takami-san, you haven't changed a bit. But it's strange to see you in a school uniform."

As I said that, I plopped down on the sofa in the school director's office without getting invited.

"I'm more used to combat gear, so uniforms feel awkward. And you look unfamiliar in that outfit too, Yuusuke."

Saying so, Lieutenant General Takami Toshiaki sat on the sofa in front of me with a wry smile.

I had been with Takami-san on the battlefield several times before.

At that time, Takami-san was the unit leader and my superior officer, but due to his flashy achievements on the battlefield resulting in repeated commendations. So our ranks got reversed.

"However, to think the demon of a unit leader became a lieutenant general and now serves as a school director."

"I got promoted too much due to commendations on the field, which even troubled my superiors. We had a bit of friction even at the Joint Chiefs of Staff meetings."

"And as a result, you were sidelined?"

"It was originally too much for me. Passing on my military experience to the young before retiring isn't a bad idea."

"An old soldier reminiscing about his remaining years was burdened with his troublesome former subordinate."

"When I saw your name, I couldn't help but burst out laughing. The battles we fought together stand out vividly in my military career."

With a nostalgic look, Takami-san reached for a cup of tea and sipped from it, cutting off the conversation, so I followed suit and took a sip from the teacup in front of me.

"So, about your treatment, within the school, we'll treat you strictly as a student on the surface. Not just the students, but even the instructors are unaware of your special background."

"Huh? Shouldn't it be better to inform the instructors?"

"Even though they're called instructors, not all of them are from the military. Many come from civilian companies, and spies are rampant."

"It's quite a shady story."

"When this school was founded, the country didn't have enough money, so we relied on private capital. Thanks to that, there are various factions within the school constantly at odds with each other."

Takami-san shrugged with a gesture of resignation.

"So, I can't just reveal my identity casually?"

"Keeping your identity hidden is your main goal in coming to this school."

"I don't mind if I'm found out. In the end, won't it be the ruler and the underlying making a suicide pact?"

In that case, I might even further climb the ladder with the vacant seat above.

I don't need any more promotions.

"If your existence is exposed, you'll be thoroughly placed under the control of the country."

"I'll make sure it doesn't happen."

After all, I came back to Japan to experience student life.

I don't want to stay on the battlefield, but I'd rather not be shuttling between my quarters and the battlefield like in a half-prison life.

"Don't do anything that draws attention, okay?"

"Yes. I'll be satisfied as long as I can lead a peaceful student life."

Saying that, I finished the tea in the teacup, and stood up from the sofa.

"How is it...?"

When I left the room, Takami-san looked at me with a somewhat anxious expression, but I pretended not to notice.

◇◇◇◆◇◇◇

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test