22 February 2024

Earth Dungeon 142.1

Test

Chapter 142.1. Missing


"Karin isn't here?"

"Yeah, she usually comes by for a chat and then leaves, but there's been no sign of her. Even the Fuuma Detective Agency is completely empty."

Sakimori listened to Katsuyori's report in confusion, tilting his head, in the living room of his home. Snowflake and a young girl were also present.

They couldn't establish contact because Karin wasn't wandering around, attempting to arrange a meeting with Serika. Their method of communication with Serika was to find where the wandering catgirl was. Since she loved going for walks and could be found in the cafeteria, at my house, or wandering around the market, I had assumed it would be easy to get in touch with her. Besides, there's the Fuuma Detective Agency in the outer town.

"I've asked around, but nobody has seen her for the past week. The last time was at a cake-tasting event."

"That tasting event... she's stingy about that stuff. Despite being the wealthiest around here."

I'm excluded. My wallet is always empty. I think Karin has the most savings. She's always so thrifty. She used to come for lunch often, eating in the company cafeteria, so it's unusual not to see her for a week. It's reasonable to assume something happened.

"Yeah... it's troubling if we can't reach Serika."

I crossed my arms, wearing a troubled expression. Where did Karin go?

[Without Serika-chan, it'll be difficult to contact the inner town... Serika-chan doesn't need to be there.]

Floating in the air, Shizuku tilted her head, pondering. She's unforgiving, isn't she? Wasn't Serika supposed to be one of us?

But it's not just about losing contact. I need her crafting skills.

Still, not being able to meet Karin. Hmm, something's off.

"Sakimori-shan~"

As the usual young girl crawled onto my lap, I pondered while patting her head. It used to be easy to meet Karin, and Serika would show up quickly. When did it become so difficult? Oh, right, was it when I got the spirit stone? I told Karin about it, but Serika didn't show up. Why?

[Isn't it strange that you can't meet Serika when you try to ask about the spirit stone?]

Shizuku seemed taken aback by my question, squinting as she contemplated and then answered.

[Hmm... sharp observation, Sakimori-san. Indeed, trying to meet her but facing various obstacles, or coincidences. Oddly, we used to meet so easily, but suddenly couldn't meet her in person.]

Yeah, as Shizuku said. Looking at her face while patting the young girl's head. She looks at me with round eyes, smiling, puffing up her cheeks happily.

It's really strange. Something's off. Too many coincidences are piling up.

Well, whatever. If my guess is correct, I have a feeling things will work out in our favor. It feels like I'm choosing the right option among choices. Somehow...

[Maybe meeting her would lead to a bad ending route. From an impossible-to-clear super highest difficulty to a clearable highest difficulty.]

[It's a fantastic difficulty setting. Sadly, I'm agreeing with it.]

[Humanity is destined for defeat against the dungeon. Rather than rigged dice, the dungeon is a being that wins with game master privileges. We should rejoice that the difficulty setting has become clearable.]

What a thing to say. Both Shizuku and Yukika seem happy that it's become clearable. It's too harsh. It makes me want to cry.

[Could it be that showing the spirit stone to Serika is a bad idea...? Is that why we couldn't meet her?]

[I don't think it has such great power, but if a butterfly flaps its wings, a young girl might come to catch bugs.]

I chuckled wryly as the young girl pressed her face against my chest.

That's right. Even if you don't have tremendous power, you need a little to alter the course of events. You need to slightly tilt things in the right direction, and it will lead to significant changes later.

It feels like this young girl's power can do that. Well, whatever.

Thinking that I'm lost in thought, I look at Katsuyori who is keeping silent.

"Katsuyori, Yukihana. I'm going to infiltrate the inner town. Let's play the role of Shinobu Sakimori again for a while."

[I don't like the surname, but it can't be helped. I'm Colonel Shizuku. During the infiltration, please call me Colonel, Sakimori-san.]

[Since when did Shizuku-san become a military officer?]

Shizuku puffs out her chest proudly, breathing heavily. Is a deep voice suitable? She mumbles about whether a husky voice would be good, still the usual beautiful girl.

"Katsuyori, take care of the management while I'm gone."

"Understood."

Katsuyori nods earnestly. He's such a good guy. You wouldn't think he's Shingen's son.

I'm sorry all the time. Because Masamune, the smart one, went to expand his territory. I have no choice but to rely on Katsuyori again.

"Well then, I'm off."

Shall we pay a visit to the inner town? There's probably trouble waiting.

The inner town remains a world apart from the outside. But really, it's the outside that's strange. The inner town still looks the same as it used to.

It's a pleasant spring day with a gentle breeze. The inner town artificially produces the scent of spring. Banners advertise spring sales, and shops sell seasonal clothing and food for a limited time.

Golden Week is for traveling! But where do the people from the Inner City go for travel? Do they use airplanes for trips?

"Where to, sir?"

"Oh, to the Kamishiro Lab."

Thinking about such things, I enter the inner town, hop into a taxi I found on the street, and tell the driver my destination. It should be Serika's research lab and headquarters. I did ask where she lived just in case, but I didn't expect to go there directly.

"I see. Are you also going to the Kamishiro Lab?"

"Yeah, just some errands."

The taxi driver readily nods at the mention of the Kamishiro Lab's location. I squint at his demeanor. That Serika is steadily climbing up, it seems.

As I watch people walking with peaceful expressions, I think the inner town seems to be a comfortable place to live, from the taxi traveling on the beautifully asphalt-paved roads.

It's a world that doesn't suit me at all.

[Have you gotten too used to the bloody world...?]

For a man destined to be the savior of the world, he's too rough. I prop my chin on my hand and chuckle.

[The savior of the world is a bloody one. Didn't you know that, Sakimori-san?]

[No doubt. Sadly, you can't become a savior without dirtying your hands. But that's because reality is harsh.]

As Shizuku says, let's shrug it off with a hard-boiled attitude.

The driver seems to enjoy small talk, chatting incessantly. Even when asked about TV or recent celebrities, I can't muster much interest, but the driver notices and changes topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test