07 February 2024

Earth Dungeon 137.1

Test

Chapter 137.1. Politician


Politicians have ceased to be respected at some point, yet it seems they've still become a coveted profession, thought Banjin.

As a child, I also reminisce about wanting to become a politician. Not out of a desire to change the country. But simply because I heard about the annual income of politicians and observed their exchanges in the Diet. 

I didn't aspire to be a prominent figure. I wanted to be in a position like a mid-level congressman, unnoticed by the media but with a secure electoral base, never losing in elections.

Because I asked the adults around me. Watching the fantastic debates on TV between the ruling and opposition parties, I wondered, what politicians do besides ministers? Ministers' roles are somewhat understandable. Each has clearly defined tasks. But what about other politicians? Is their only job to stand up when deciding on approval or disapproval?

Adults always answered like this.

We don't really know, but they must be doing some tough work. They must be mediating something.

None of the adults ever clearly explained what that "something" was. I don't think I was the only one who, as a child, thought it seemed like an easy job.

What about now? What is the job of politicians chosen by people who are forced to live in dungeons, barricaded behind walls?

The answer is clearer now.

Today's politicians seek power and benefits without guilt about discarding unnecessary people.

Like the plump, self-important man with a mustache I saw before.

One week later. A former soldier who wants to talk to the important people in the inner town about Karin was reported one week later.

We asked the stragglers from the Tsukuba Line Fortress to negotiate refugees' relief. I didn't expect them to accept nearly 10,000 refugees.

And so, thanks to Serika's mediation, the politician before me appeared. He was said to be an important politician elected from the districts around Adachi and Taito wards.

His name was something like Miyoshi. I thought I wouldn't meet him again, so I didn't bother remembering his first name and just let it pass.

The meeting place was a restaurant in the inner city. With a crisp sound, the melancholy, well-arranged garden and tasteful furnishings were subtly placed in a tatami room. 

I don't know how much the tables in this restaurant cost, let alone the dishes placed on top of them. But the dishes themselves must be expensive, making it seem like a place where even the plates holding the food would be expensive. That's the kind of restaurant where I and Masamune, with his self-important mustached face, were meeting Miyoshi.

I'm footing the bill for the restaurant. For now, I'm slightly disguised so as not to attract attention. I've positioned myself as an old man under Lieutenant Date Masamune.

I'm footing the bill for the restaurant. It's important. I'm footing the bill for the restaurant. So, I'm eating without paying much attention to the conversation. This appetizer is delicious.

"Hmm... I understand your story. You want us to protect the refugees and soldiers who inadvertently remained at the Tsukuba Line Fortress?"

With a strangely high-pitched voice, Miyoshi looked down at us.

Miyoshi. He was the politician who appeared when we asked Serica. Was he a member of parliament or something? I don't remember. He was irrelevant to me.

"That's correct. We seek the protection and acceptance of refugees."

Wearing a neatly pressed suit with not a wrinkle in sight, Masamune nodded with a very serious expression. Seeing that, Miyoshi, with a relaxed air, said,

"Very well. I've read the documents. We'll protect you and accept you into the inner city."

It felt like an unexpected response. If you were a simple man, you might get deceived into saying thank you. However, even though my acquaintance was short, I understood that Masamune wouldn't get fooled. Besides, Miyoshi didn't say it with the intention of deceiving us.

"Miyoshi-san, can we assume that means you'll accept everyone living in the Tsukuba Line Fortress?"

"Hm? Of course. Naturally, right? It's our job to prioritize the happiness of the people."

Miyoshi nodded with a transparent smile. It was an attitude that questioned why we were asking such an obvious thing. With this, my business with Masamune got terminated. Such a complete response. Ah, here comes the next dish.

"So, you'll protect all 10,000 people?"

As Masamune confirmed with a sharp change in his gaze, Miyoshi's expression turned puzzled.

"What are you talking about? Oh, I see what you're getting at. The refugees number 500, and the soldiers among you are 300. Everyone else has no identification or evidence of paying taxes. In other words, non-existent people. Ghosts."

For Miyoshi, it was a matter of course. It seems that ghosts appearing in modern times are lively. What a splendid politician, I thought as I savored the food.

It must have been the answer Masamune anticipated. Without getting angry, he calmly snapped the chopsticks he held. Those chopsticks look expensive. I have a feeling I'll have to reimburse them.

"I requested that you accept everyone from the fortress."

"Oh? Ah, I see. I understand. We'll consider accepting them later. For now, you guys should come to the inner town. You should work and be grateful to me. You're excellent soldiers, but you've had many instances of insubordination. I won't tolerate such behavior under me, so remember that."

Miyoshi misunderstood Masamune's words as a pretext. Hearing this story and inquiring about Ichikawa, he heard that he seemed to be a righteous idiot who stayed behind for refugees. However, he didn't care.

One year since the complete withdrawal. They probably came begging to return from their miserable existence. After investigating, it turns out that this Masamune Date is a level 5 skill holder. 

He seems to have been a tank driver sent to the forefront of dungeon conquest battles, lucky enough to survive and become the holder of various skills and a level 5.

For Miyoshi, this man was like a lifeline dropped from the sky in a crisis. The Miyoshi family lost many high-level skill holders in the Yukihana Incident. And now, because of the Core Store, high-level skill holders have become important figures for each family.

By manipulating him and the soldiers behind him, the Miyoshi family could prevent decline. And Miyoshi himself could improve his position in one fell swoop, stealing this story from the legendary Serika, and grinning as he planned to gather skill level-up potions for his own pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test