30 January 2024

Shop 41.2

Test

Chapter 41.2. Desperate Situation In The Wilderness


Before entering the inn, I cleaned the blood with an Aerial Tool. In an instant, it turned into a reddish-brown powder, and I was a bit startled. When I vigorously tapped it with my hands, the dirt miraculously disappeared.

Using the same Aerial Tool on Yaralai's thin leather jacket, the stains also easily came off.

Returning to the room, a hug awaited, but I wasn't in the mood to make tonkatsu, so I settled for a katsu sandwich.

Yaralai returned the gold coins he had stashed away. I tried to pass them back to him as a gesture of thanks, but he refused.

I drank water and finally regained some composure.

"Yaralai, I really appreciate your help."

"Don't mention it."

"But how did you end up coming to such a place? Was it a coincidence?"

"No. The spirits acted strangely, and I went to investigate. There was a protective spell, and that's when I found you."

"I see... Whatever it was, I'm grateful. Thank you."

"It's nothing. A warrior must help the weak."

Ugh, I was unequivocally labeled as weak. Well, I can't deny it. I can't swing around a thick iron rod like that. I feel like I'm being treated like a child. Well, it's probably just my imagination.

"Hey, damn elf, did you properly crack their heads open?"

"Don't underestimate, with the dwarf, we took care of them together."

Their conversation is unnerving.

"But... are there a lot of shady characters like that around here?"

"There are many unsavory people, especially in the southern district, brother."

"I see."

"And in recent years, the slums have been expanding."

"That's frightening."

"Due to that, the number of customers has been decreasing."

"That's unfortunate... Why are you casually joining the conversation?! More importantly, when did you enter this room?!"

Narnia had been participating in the conversation as if it were natural. It was so natural that I didn't even notice!

"I've been here since earlier."

"...Is there no morality in this inn?"

"What's morality?"

Apparently, there isn't.

"Oh well, it doesn't matter. More importantly, this city has worse public safety than I imagined... I didn't expect to be attacked twice in one day."

I leaned against the wall next to the bed.

By the way, on the bed, Narnia and I were sitting, and Hug and Yaralai were sitting on the floor in a relaxed manner. That's why it's cramped!

"Wait, twice?"

"Hmm? Ah, the first time it wasn't me but Cherina's carriage that was attacked, and I got involved."

"Wasn't that just a coincidence?"

"It's strange."

Now that it's pointed out, it does feel a bit strange.

"Are you being targeted, perhaps?"

"Me? Not Cherina?"

"Yes. It seems suspicious."

"Thugs, can't use protective spells."

"Maybe you had an Aerial Tool?"

I have no idea if there's such a thing as an Aerial Tool for protection against people.

"If you can carry that kind of thing, it would be better to be hired by someone than resorting to thuggery. By lending out the Aerial Tool, you could at least maintain a minimum standard of living."

I see. Even if you can use magic, and even if you have an Aerial Tool, both should keep you from struggling to find work.

"...So, am I really being targeted?"

"There's a possibility."

"Really?"

"Onii-chan, are you going to die?"

Narnia said something ominous.

"No, don't say unlucky things. I have no intention of dying."

But currently, I have no means of self-defense. If I could get the prototype of the Aerial Tool sword under construction, it might be a minimum level of armament. No way I can stick that into a human. I'd be hesitating, and then I'd get stabbed with a knife. I even had that illusion today.

"How about hiring a guard? I'd like to accompany you, but I'm still under contract with the blacksmiths' guild. I could refuse, but I'd rather not be ungrateful if possible."

That's natural.

"Shall I be your guard?"

It was Yaralai.

"Is that okay?"

"I'll take a guard fee."

Yaralai should be strong enough. It's a bit scary to think about.

"What's the going rate?"

"10,000, I don't mind."

"Eh?! Is that all for a day with an elf warrior?!"

Narnia jumped up on the bed. Stop it, Narnia. You're crushing the straw.

"It's a connection we made."

It seems quite cheap. Considering the events of today, it's a very low price. Before anything else, I want to repay Yaralai at least a little.

"What's the usual rate?"

"Don't worry about that."

"I don't mind. Because you're a nice person. It's not exactly free, but hire me for that amount."

Hagg poured a drink.

"Sorry about that, Yaralai. I'll count on you from tomorrow."

"Leave it to me."

They shook hands.

"...Oh, and besides that, treat me to breakfast."

"I'm happy about that. Looking forward to it."

"I want to eat too!"

"If you bring money, I'll sell it to you."

"Onii-chan's stingy~!"

I shoved a candy into Narnia's mouth.

My remaining fund is 930,892 yen.

When the three left the room, it suddenly became quiet.

I'm turning off the candle. The room was pitch dark.

Looking out the window, the usual starry sky spread above.

This world is harsh, but the stars are amazing. I reported that to the goddess of commerce, Merhes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test