28 January 2024

Shop 40.1

Test

Chapter 40.1. The Secret Diary In The Wilderness


■■■ <Crimson Chain> Cherina Veliero (2) ■■■

I disliked meeting Baron Label.

His Excellency is interested in me as well. While not as overt as His Majesty, he constantly approaches me. 

Considering the power dynamics in this country, it would be beneficial to establish connections with the Label family and Veliero Trading Company. The various privileges held by the Baron are all quite enticing.

So, I have no choice but to regularly accept invitations for dinner.

Before I knew it, Akira was also drawn into these dinners.

What am I expecting from him?

Introducing him to the Baron will yield nothing. If anything, it will likely have negative consequences.

I couldn't fathom the meaning of bringing him along.

Baron Label remained, as ever, an unpleasant person.

Suppressing my aversion is challenging.

His stories are nothing but boastful and uninteresting.

However, Akira is increasingly captivated by these tales. Though initially annoyed, the Baron seems pleased that Akira is genuinely listening, and as time passes, he engages in cheerful conversation with Akira. Eventually, he stops addressing me altogether, and they begin to chat exclusively.

Establishing a connection with the Baron as a merchant is a highly meaningful endeavor. 

Ordinarily, such ties would be difficult to obtain, even if desired. To form a bond with the notoriously difficult Baron Label in just one dinner is utterly unbelievable.

Regardless, I earnestly wish to return home as soon as possible.

However, to my disbelief, Akira attempts to leave by himself, leaving me behind!

Such an unbelievable act!

I managed to decline the Baron's invitation and board the carriage home. Of course, Akira is with me, but I can't bring myself to speak. 

When we arrive at the Trading Company and disembark from the carriage, all I can muster is a muttered complaint.

――――

The next morning, when I went to the usual spot, Akira and an elf were together. 

He had a muscular body that didn't seem typical of an elf. It quickly dawned on me. 

He must be Yaralai, the Black Needle. 

Akira seemed to know him. 

What could he have done to establish connections with Veliero Trading Company, Black Needle, Yaralai, even Baron Labell, and Aigas Mother Church in just a few days? 

Perhaps it's the divine intervention of the gods.

While chatting with Akira, I let my guard down.

"What's your relationship with the Baron? And what do you want from me?"

I couldn't understand the meaning.

Could he possibly think I'm romantically involved with the Baron?

It's a ridiculous misunderstanding.

I explained the situation.

However, he didn't get it. We repeated the questions and answers several times.

"I finally understand. Your actions are scattered because your feelings aren't clear. First, sort out your emotions."

I was speechless at Akira's words.

My feelings.

Has anyone ever asked me such a thing before? Moreover, aren't my feelings irrelevant to the development of the trading company?

But I finally understood. In the end, my actions were inconsistent because I couldn't let go of those feelings.

I gathered my emotions and conveyed them.

"Being vague is unfair to the other person. I'll make it clear soon."

He started walking without looking at me.

I couldn't take my eyes off his back.

――――

For a while, it was routine office work. Occasionally, Akira offered innovative suggestions, seemingly oblivious to the increasingly hostile glares directed at him in the trading company. 

Yet, he brushed it off, a resilience that would drive an ordinary person to mental exhaustion. What kind of life had he led?

During a discussion with Akira, I let my guard down.

"What's your relationship with the Baron? And what do you want from me?"

I couldn't understand the meaning.

Could he possibly think I'm romantically involved with the Baron?

It's a ridiculous misunderstanding.

I explained the situation.

However, he didn't get it. We repeated the questions and answers several times.

"I finally understand. Your actions are scattered because your feelings aren't clear. First, sort out your emotions."

I was speechless at Akira's words.

My feelings.

Has anyone ever asked me such a thing before? Moreover, aren't my feelings irrelevant to the development of the trading company?

But I finally understood. In the end, my actions were inconsistent because I couldn't let go of those feelings.

I gathered my emotions and conveyed them.

"Being vague is unfair to the other person. I'll make it clear soon."

He started walking without looking at me.

I couldn't take my eyes off his back.

From then on, it was mostly regular office tasks. Akira occasionally provided groundbreaking ideas, seemingly unaware of himself. The looks he received at the trading company worsened day by day.

Yet, Akira calmly deflected them. It's something that could drive an ordinary person insane, yet he remained unfazed. 

What kind of life had he experienced? When I read through the scattered parchments, I found myself inadvertently tracking his movements with my eyes.

But when he noticed and met my gaze, my heart thumped loudly, and I involuntarily averted my eyes. 

Why not just refrain from looking at him? Yet, for some reason, I would surreptitiously glance at his face from the corner of my eye.

This was unprecedented. What was happening?

When he praised me as savvy, it felt as though wings were sprouting from my back. Maybe I'm ill. It might be best to call a doctor soon.

"Now, there's something I want to discuss while we're alone."

His serious expression finally made me gather my emotions. When I listened, it seemed he was trying to create something new again. 

Just like yesterday, he pulled out an impressive technical book. Though a bit thin, its contents were dense.

As I read on, it seemed he was trying to create something akin to coal. Making charcoal seemed quite challenging; its quality depended heavily on the craftsman's skill. 

I couldn't grasp the significance of investing so much effort to create something no different from firewood, but it was Akira's proposal, and that alone made it worth trying.

After calling Dauru, he arrived around the end of lunch. He must have rushed here on horseback. 

When given instructions for charcoal production, he smirked, copied the design, and went off. I could trust Dauru with this. 

He played a significant role in expanding the Veliero Trading Company alongside his father. His skills were top-notch.

After progressing with negotiations with several merchants, the long-awaited prototype of the Aerial Tools arrived. 

The halogen who could create a prototype in such a short time must be exceptionally talented. I've tried inviting him to Veliero multiple times, but he stubbornly refuses to quit being a lone Aerial Tools craftsman. 

I listened to his romantic story about the memories of his late wife and the store.

The Aeria Tool he brought was already prototype number 7. It was marvelous for such a short time. The thickness was a bit more than expected, but that wasn't a problem.

Akira pointed out some flaws, but this was sufficient.

As we were about to enter mass production, Akira decided to test the prototype. 

At that moment, he delivered a second shock, reminiscent of the impact of the talk about the Free Economic City.

When Akira used the Aerial Tools for illumination, it bathed the entire room in a light ten times brighter than usual. 

Moreover, it was a challenging, white light. It surpassed the brightness and whiteness of the Aerial Tools used by the talented mage in the Baron's house.

The three of us present were struck dumb as if time had frozen.

He, oblivious to the magnitude of what he had achieved, turned his carefree face towards us. I felt a slight anger at that expression. It's not good to leave such an extraordinary person unchecked.

This situation was inadequate to teach him about this abnormality. I instructed the two witnesses to keep it confidential and put this matter aside.

Akira didn't seem entirely convinced, but he ignored it and proceeded with the mass production discussion of the Aerial Tools.

However, it was there that Akira brought up the idea of using Japanese paper. 

The image of Japanese paper is still hard to grasp, but if it's something resembling parchment, it doesn't seem like a bad idea. 

Even if Japanese paper doesn't work, using the finest thin parchment might be acceptable.

However, since the sample of Japanese paper hasn't been created yet, we decided to postpone the production of the Aerial Tools for now.

How deep is Akira's imaginative power?

――――

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test