28 January 2024

Shop 39.1

Test

Chapter 39.1. Observation Diary In The Wilderness


■■■ <Crimson Chain> Cherina Veliero ■■■

My loyal shadow entered the room.

"What's the matter? This early in the morning?"

I always permit the shadow to enter my room, but it's rare for it to come at this hour.

"The target is near the trading company."

That's all he said. I must scrutinize the information.

"Do you know the reason?"

"Unknown."

He's a person of interest. We want to keep him enclosed within our trading company, especially regarding the secrecy of Aerial Tools.

"Tell me the location."

I ask the shadow for the location and head there.

"Good morning, Akira-sama."

He was leisurely smoking some peculiar tobacco, gazing at the ship. 

It doesn't seem like a typical reconnaissance from a merchant's perspective.

So, when I ask what he's doing, he responds that he ended up staying for an extended period.

I already have that information. While it's not very reliable, there's a possibility that Akira might be an apostle of some gods.

The likelihood of that being true is low, but what's crucial is that the Aigas faith considers it significant. 

He's not just an ordinary merchant.

I tried inviting him to my trading company on a whim, but he was uninterested.

His reaction is unlike anyone I know. If I approached any other merchant, they would gladly wag their tails. 

However, Akira casually waves his hand, seeming bothered.

His reaction amuses me, and my cheeks loosen in a smile.

However, an unsophisticated subordinate arrives to interrupt such a moment.

Instead of scolding him, his brought news disrupts any such thoughts.

"My lady! It's urgent! His Majesty King Kobel Pilatus II has come for an inspection!"

I believe I screamed.

It's a violation for a king to visit the trading company himself, no matter the circumstances.

I rushed to the trading company, somewhat unconsciously grabbing someone's hand.

––––––

Upon returning to the trading company, I met with none other than His Majesty King Kobel Pilatus II of this country.

About ten years ago, he had a slightly better appearance from what I remember, but now he's bloated like a pig. It's a shame considering his original handsome face.

Even if one has a well-proportioned appearance, I have no intention of being with this man. 

I want to live my life as a merchant, and the ideal person for me is someone who supports that.

However, this pig... King Pilatus's repeated advances know no bounds. 

He should hardly have any free time in his role as king, but he constantly summons me, saying, "Be my concubine, be my wife."

If my memory serves me right, he should already have double-digit partners. Why fixate on a merchant's daughter like me...?

Recently, I've been evading invitations using illness or voyages as excuses, but I never expected King Pilatus himself to visit the trading company.

I can't fathom anything but hatred for him.

I attempted to greet him without any issues, but after a brief exchange, His Majesty said something strange.

"Who is that man? Could it be your fiancé?"

"Eh?"

Finally, I realize that I've been holding Akira's hand. I quickly let go, but it was too late.

In an attempt to deceive His Majesty, I come up with a strange idea.

I tried to forcibly bring him into the trading company as an advisor.

He agreed, sighing, seemingly a good person.

His Majesty occasionally does good things too.

Since we've established a connection, I don't intend to let him go. Let's see how far we can use him by pulling out all the stops.

While I'm calculating like a fox that can't be caught, His Majesty drops a bomb that blows everything away.

Framed.

It was a complete trap.

The import quantity of potatoes, directly requested by the royal family, was falsified. 

Even if I hand over the copied document now, I might get charged with perjury.

His Majesty's aim is clear. He'll likely demand my arrest in exchange.

I never expected such a naive and direct approach.

This country might be finished.

Just when my will to live was rapidly fading, Akira threw a strange curveball.

He seems to be helping in his own way, but it's merely a stalling tactic.

Still, I go along with his words, clinging to them as if clinging to a lifeline.

Then, in the corridor, Akira's attitude changes drastically.

His language becomes rough, and his demeanor becomes curt. However, that's not an issue. 

I've received reports from the shadows, and he and I must be on equal footing.

He says seriously as we go to an empty warehouse.

"Promise me, what we're about to do must be kept absolutely confidential."

I couldn't find words.

All circumstances point to acknowledging it.

So, I continued like this.

"Could it be that you're using the power of a god?"

How foolish of me. Akira is neither a pope nor anything of the sort. But I was convinced.

And he saved me with that special ability.

By the grace of the gods.

――――

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test