09 January 2024

Introverted Archer 16

Test

16. Rational Conflict!


After school, we arrived at the Hoshikei Hill Dungeon.

"So, this is the dungeon Eimu-kun always goes to, huh? Dungeons all feel the same, don't they?"

"Where does Hina usually go for dungeons?"

"Well, I don't go that often, but it's the Aosaka-dai Dungeon."

Speaking of Aosaka-dai, it's a place about two stations away from the academy's nearest station. 

Hoshikei Hill, where we are, requires walking in the opposite direction from the nearest station.

"It's the opposite way home, and why are we suddenly going together?"

It's the first time Hina invited me to dungeon conquest. 

Moreover, the invitation was framed as 'help' with dungeon conquest.

"We have periodic exams soon, right? I pay attention in class, so I think I'll be fine in the written part, but..."

"The issue is the practical part."

The practical part is, as the name suggests, an exam related to combat. Of course, it affects grades, so not preparing diligently could lead to trouble.

"So, it's dungeon conquest for that?"

"Yeah! I want to do my best in the first exam, and I want to become strong like Eimu-kun! So, I thought it would be better to go together!"

Exams, huh? Honestly, I'm not very interested. I do want to become stronger, but I don't really care about getting high scores on tests. As long as I don't fail, any score is fine.

"All right, today we'll go to the 3rd floor!"

"Stop that. We might end up like the last time in Ryugaoka. But, we might manage up to the 2nd floor."

My level has increased quite a bit. Even if something happens like last time, I should be able to protect us up to the second floor.

"Yay! Well then, let's do our best!"

We step into the dungeon. Hina's job as a Paladin is quite advantageous for dungeon conquest, effective in solo and party play, with strong crowd control abilities.

With excellent grades, she is likely to rank high in the year in terms of ability.

"Haa!"

Hina raises her voice and delivers a powerful blow to the monster, something you wouldn't expect from her slender figure. Using a one-handed sword while holding a large shield, she's doing quite a brutal thing.

There may be job-related adjustments, but Hina is quite skilled in handling weapons. It's evidence that she has incorporated what she learned in class.

"By the way, what's Hina's blessing?"

"My protection is [Absolute Reflection]. For 10 seconds, any attack is reflected. That's why I chose Paladin, influenced by that protection!"

Huh...?

"Any attack for 10 seconds...?"

"Yeah. Remember when I fended off the horde of kobolds? I used it then too!"

"...Really?"

"Because, if I didn't, I couldn't have held back that large group. It was tough after the protection wore off!"

Wait, does Hina have more talent than I thought? Reflecting any attack for 10 seconds can be used in various ways.

"Hey, can you try using that protection for a moment?"

"Huh? But, there's a cooldown after using it, and..."

"It's okay. I'll protect you no matter what happens during the cooldown. So please."

"W-Well, if you say so... If you promise to protect me, then okay."

For some reason, Hina blushes and takes a deep breath.

"[Absolute Reflection]"

Hina activates the protection. At the same time, I draw my bow with all my might.

"Hina, it's okay, don't move!"

I release the arrow, and it goes straight towards Hina.

At the moment when the arrow is about to pierce her body.

Clang!

A metallic sound echoes, and the arrow returns towards me at the same speed!

"Whoa!?"

I was momentarily surprised, but the arrow narrowly passed by my cheek and stuck into the wall.

"Eimu-kun!? What's with the sudden attack? You just said you'd protect me!"

"Because I had the Bracelet of Warding, attacks won't hit me or Hina. But more importantly. That protection, it's incredibly powerful, isn't it!?"

Even with a 10-second limit, perfectly repelling any attack is impressive. It may not be a big deal against weak monsters, but its effectiveness increases against stronger ones.

What's she hiding with such a nonchalant attitude? Depending on how it's used, it could be a giant killer!

"Eimu-kun praised me...? Hehe, I'm a little happy."

"Don't let your guard down, but you can be confident. I think it'll be useful in the exam. It depends on how you use it, though..."

At that moment, I sense the presence of a monster behind me.

Turning around, a slime is running towards us.

"It's just a regular slime, right?"

But its body color seems different from the others...?

Curious, just as I was about to activate <Observation Eye>.

"Move aside!!"

A high-pitched voice rings in my ears, and my body is blown away by the impact.

"Ouch... what was that?"

I try to get up, but my body feels heavy as if someone is on top of me...?

"Ugh, stop getting in the way! The Golden Slime escaped because of you!"

Wait, a voice from above...? And it feels soft?

When opening my eyes, there's a woman's face close to mine. She has a well-proportioned face with twin tails, blue hair, and beautiful aqua-colored eyes like reflecting on the water.

Somehow, I feel like I've seen this person before.

"Mirai?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test