15 December 2023

Shop 6

Test

Chapter 6. Business Smile In The Wilderness


"Indeed, the shipwreck was a disaster."

The light of a bonfire flickers in the dark night. 

This is a wasteland in an unknown realm.

Ah, how I miss the neon lights of Japan.

"Yes, the ship sank, and before I knew it, I was near this... island or continent, I'm not sure. So, I wandered around looking for a place with people."

Although far from a business smile, I speak with as much of a smile as possible to hide my fatigue.

"The ship... huh?"

Hagg... The dwarf who introduced himself as Hagg, wraps his long beard around his short fingers, contemplating.

He knows it's a difficult excuse even for himself.

But that's not very important. 

It's enough if the nuance of having circumstances comes across.

Reading the air seems to be a unique ability of the Japanese.

So it's quite doubtful whether the person in front of me can pick up on that.

If it doesn't work, I'll have to tell the truth.

But the problem is that if I tell a story that sounds more like a lie than this made-up one. 

It might cause a backlash.

But still, a dwarf.

Well, I had some knowledge, even if it was somewhat vague. 

During my student days, it was the heyday of games, and dwarves often appeared in novels I read during my commute.

That's why, paradoxically, it was hard to believe.

I don't know what kind of world this is.

But what kind of reasoning allows for the existence of life forms imagined by humans?

Actually, I'd be more convinced if some completely incomprehensible monster showed up.

Well, I'd be convinced, but my life would probably be over at that point.

There were plenty of other questions.

But for now, let's prioritize survival.

"So, you weren't stranded here in your birthday suit?"

Hagg plays with his beard while tossing dry branches into the fire.

"Yes, and I'm also an ignorant fool."

My smile is probably quite distorted.

"Hmph. You probably have your reasons. But for now, stop that fancy talk. That's irritating. If it makes you feel better, I'll go along with your story."

Oh, I appreciated that. 

But isn't it harsh to be foul-mouthed as soon as you meet someone?

"Ah, I appreciate that. But, how should I put it... the gratitude to a lifesaver and all that..."

"I don't care. Rather, if it's about gratitude, just say it sincerely."

"Um..."

I think for a while.

Hagg doesn't seem to belong to a class that has anything to do with manners from any angle.

If it's what he desires, maybe that's the best.

"Ah, well, should I really go all out?"

"That's fine."

He wrinkles his face deeply and gives a fearless smile.

It seems like this benefactor prefers this way of speaking. 

It's easier for me, so it works out.

"Well, anyway, let me express my gratitude again. I said it before, but it sounded too formal. I really appreciate your help. Thank you."

I bow deeply, and the dwarf Hagg nods approvingly.

"Hmm. Traveling is about helping each other. By the way, I've been curious since earlier. Is that thing you're clutching made of glass?"

I realize I've been holding onto a PET bottle the whole time.

"Ah, do you know about PET bottles, plastics, or polyethylene?"

I handed him a PET bottle, something no Japanese person would be unfamiliar with.

"Hmm... never heard of it. I've seen something like this resin in the past, but I've never seen anything this transparent. Well, maybe those guys just had it hidden. Either way, fixing it in this form is probably impossible."

Hagg picks up the PET bottle with his fingers, inspecting it closely.

"Is there water inside?"

"No, it's tea. Green tea. If you want, you can have some. It's still good."

Without hesitation, Hagg drinks it all in one go.

"Hmm. Definitely tea. But it didn't spoil even though it's not water? No, more importantly, does this container not let water through? It's a completely mysterious container. If there's an extra one, I'd like it."

Shaking the container upside down and placing the last drop on his tongue, he casually asks for another.

I foolishly take another tea-filled PET bottle from the container and hand it to Hagg.

It seems like my brain has been affected by the heat.

"Oh, well, as thanks, I'll give you one. Here."

I toss the PET bottle to Hagg, thinking he wouldn't have any trouble catching it.

But it hits him square in the face, falling to the ground.

"Whoa?! S-Sorry! I didn't expect you to miss catching it..."

I try to stand up in a panic, but before I can, I freeze in place at the sound of an angry voice.

"You! What did you just do?!"

It was an intense, furious voice, unlike anything I'd felt even when encountering a robber.

I immediately bow down in apology.

"I'm really sorry! I didn't mean any harm! Are you injured?"

"I don't care about that! Did you just take something out of thin air?!"

Oh no!

I did it almost unconsciously.

It's too late to cover it up now.

"Uh, well, you see..."

"...?"

Hagg remains silent. He reaches behind him, takes out a massive hammer, and points it at me.

Wait, that's dangerous!

Um, that thing, it's... risky.

If he lets go of it, my head will probably burst open like a watermelon.

"Speak. Explain everything."

I saw 2 gleaming eyes in the darkness.

There's no way to resist. 

I immediately start confessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test