27 December 2023

Shop 17

Test

Chapter 17. Clumsy Novice Apostle In The Wilderness


■■■ Mouton Laetia ■■■

I wake up before the sun rises and offer prayers to God.

I meticulously clean the church from corner to corner. Though few visitors come, I don't intend to slack off.

This church was converted from a tavern, with a bell tower forcibly added to the roof during renovations. I ring the small bell there at sunrise.

This is my morning routine.

I used to travel as a roving priest in the western region, but one day, a year ago, I was suddenly given a role beyond my station.

It was a posting to the city-state at the farthest end of the wilderness where the church was finally allowed, and I got appointed as its head.

From selecting land with a limited budget to renovating the building, obtaining permission for the bell tower, and approval for missionary activities—sometimes even seeking an audience with the king—it was all a heavy burden for a novice like me.

I can't forget the gaze of the king at that time.

It was overwhelming for a novice like me, but he placed his expectations upon me.

It's evident in the surname given to me along with the assignment.

Without a surname, no matter how devout a believer you are, you can't rise in the church. I have no ambition for promotion, but I serve in this role with strong determination.

Before I knew it, a busy year passed by. Now, things have finally settled down.

I've been neglecting important missionary work and church duties due to major tasks, so now I'm focusing on those aspects.

As I rang the bell and descended, several believers came for the morning worship. I'm grateful.

I ask each person who has finished praying if anything unusual has happened or if they are facing any troubles.

I feel fulfilled.

I offer prayers of gratitude once again to the Earth Mother Goddess Aigas-sama, who gave me this wonderful duty.

Today was planned for missionary activities, but a large number of documents arrived from the headquarters in "Lakelel, the Land of Mountains and Lakes" around midday. It's probably instructions in response to the report I sent recently.

I spread them out on the back desk and started working on the paperwork.

I never imagined that managing a church would involve much paperwork for a roving priest like me.

I might have to ask for reinforcements from headquarters if this continues. However, I also want to accomplish this on my own. But if I fail, it would be embarrassing.

God gave me a new trial perhaps due to the anxiety of inadequate training.

Unusually, people came in at lunchtime.

In this town, most worshippers usually come in the morning and evening, so I noticed it.

As there were no wrongdoers in the church, I welcomed the man with a strange appearance standing around the church with a smile.

When I spoke to him, his response was not very friendly.

Maybe he has some troubles, so I try to start a conversation, but he wants to make an offering.

He showed me what he wanted to offer. It was a hand-carved wooden craft. It doesn't look very skillful, but there's something strangely captivating.

So, I asked him what it was, and that's when my life changed dramatically.

"Oh, I was asked by the God of Commerce, Merhes. That's the symbol of that god."

At that time, I couldn't understand the meaning of his words.

"Symbol... God... Merhes?"

It was an inappropriate response for someone serving as a representative of God to question the information given.

It was an event that made me realize how inadequate my training was, and I will never forget this moment in my lifetime, using it as a source of inspiration.

He says he wanted to visit all three major gods. While it's rare now, pilgrimage to all three gods has been a tradition for a long time.

But there is something more significant.

I mustered the courage to ask.

"Um, excuse me... Who asked you to do that?"

"Huh? Obviously, it's Merhes."

This foreigner in front of me is none other than an Apostle.

I felt a sudden chill, and at the same time, I lost consciousness.

I feel like someone spoke to me in the darkness.

A white swan flying into darkness. I felt like I saw such an illusion.

It seems I'm lying on the floor, and someone is lifting me, giving me water to drink. We had a few exchanges of words, but it's not clear.

When I finally regained consciousness, I was given water again. It was remarkably cold and transparent water.

And then I realized that the one taking care of me is none other than the Apostle!

While I hold the Earth Mother Goddess Aigas-sama in the highest regard, I respect other gods too. It's shameful to trouble the Apostle of Merhes-sama!

I forced my body to get up, but I could only manage to sit nearby.

The Apostle generously allowed even such impoliteness.

And on top of that, I was given the precious clear water. Such a merciful person.

Sometimes, the church needs authority.

If the Lord is disparaged as a believer, there are times when wielding authority is necessary. My attitude is terribly disrespectful to the Apostle, but if the Apostle wishes, I can't complain even if my life is taken away.

While offering prayers of gratitude to the God of Commerce, Melhes-sama, I take deep breaths.

But once my condition improves, the Apostle says he's leaving!

Oh no, the Apostle's offering is too burdensome for me.

I hastily try to stop him, but he doesn't hide his displeasure.

It's natural; being detained by a low-ranking priest like me would likely be displeasing to the Apostle. However, I can't accept this. I request for some time to prostrate myself, and though reluctant, he agrees.

His extremely generous response brings tears to my eyes.

Suppressing tears, I ask the name of the Apostle.

What a surprise.

Although I should have introduced myself first, I was confused. I will probably die by divine punishment.

However, I accept it. With that determination, the Apostle introduces himself.

How generous this person must be.

When I also introduced myself, Apostle Akira extended his hand. I didn't understand the meaning, but he was asking for a handshake.

I gently shake his hand, suppressing my trembling heart.

Apostle Akira's hand, appropriate for an Apostle, was as unblemished as a hand unfamiliar with hardship.

――――


After Apostle Akira-sama left, I immediately wrote a document.

I used a format I had never used before: "Urgent Contact with the Temple Headquarters Due to the Most Critical Incident."

Documents submitted in this format are all reviewed at the Temple Headquarters. If they don't pertain to a significant matter, the priest who submitted the documents may be expelled from the church or demoted to an apprentice. In the worst case, they may lose their real head. It's a strict and crucial procedure, but I had no hesitation.

The written documents will first be sent to the city of Sevites, where there is a nearby Gryphon Express service. Of course, I'll use the fastest horse-drawn service even for that. This horse-drawn service always employs three fast horses at full speed. 

If a horse collapses on the way or is attacked by wild animals or bandits, the surviving horse takes over the load, making it the fastest and safest means of communication in the western wilderness.

The horse-drawn service often handles national documents, and it's said that bandits rarely attack them. That's because, if they got attacked, the national army would intervene.

I too almost all the gold coins from the church's vault and entrusted the documents to the horse-drawn service.

I pray to my God for their safe and speedy delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test