19 December 2023

Earth Dungeon 114.1

Test

Chapter 114.1. New Year


I've never heard the New Year's Eve bell. 

Well, he thinks she heard it in the past, Sakimori thought as he sipped sake from a small cup, gazing outside. The hot sake warmed his throat and internal organs.

Outside, it was pitch black. Powder snow fell crisply, absorbing sound and creating a world of silence covered in a pure white landscape. New Year's Eve; the time was just a few minutes away from the new year.

"This New Year's Eve is a good one, isn't it?"

The living room was brightly lit by electric lights, warm like spring. On the table, there were bowls with cold tempura and empty soba bowls.

"Yes, indeed. The room is warm, and there's plenty of food. It would be perfect if that girl outside could imitate a snowman."

"I'm quite curious about how you characterized Yukihana-chan. It's a matter of great concern."

Yukihana, sitting across from me, leisurely nibbling on tempura, gave a suspicious look to Shizuku. It's probably better not to ask. Maybe the characterization wasn't very good.

I lounged in my seat, and on my lap, Shizuku lay with her head resting, still in the middle of [Summon All Units]. Well, it's fine for New Year's.

I'm gently stroking Shizuku's head. She was lying on the floor like a relaxed puppy. The smooth touch felt pleasant. With closed eyes, she looked as adorable as ever.

"Last year, we had nothing decent to eat, and I felt like I was going to freeze to death."

"It was canned food and rock-hard bread. There was no time to enjoy the scene of snow piling up outside."

"It seems like a miserable life. Yukihana, you were fortunate to be saved at this point."

While smiling wryly at our conversation, Yukika finished the remaining tempura.

"In return, our trust, confidence, and love deepened. Couples deepen their love when they share hardships. How many children should we have?"

"I think that popular belief is partly true? It may be good for a short period, but if it continues for a long time, I think both will get tired of each other from the difficult life."

"Then, three years were just the right amount of difficult time. My love is 530,000. And it will bounce up three more times."

"Heavy women are disliked, you know? Well, being as timid as Serika might also mean missing opportunities."

Watching the two of them happily arguing, I glanced at my wristwatch. Somehow, the clock had passed midnight, and the New Year had arrived. Well, it's good that we're celebrating in our way.

"Happy New Year."

"Happy New Year, Sakimori-san."

"Happy New Year, Master."

It had been many years, decades even since we had this kind of exchange. I couldn't recall the memories. It was a story from a long time ago.

"I wonder if everyone is celebrating the same way now."

"Well, at least we distributed spring flowers, soba, and rice cakes, so they should be celebrating, right?"

Upon hearing Yukihana's words, I hoped that was the case. A lot has changed in this past year. For now, I wanted to believe that the people in the ruined town weren't struggling with food.

Around me, that's the situation. I wonder about the people in the ruins to the north and west. The cold is harsh, but they're probably better off than last year, eating things like coppepan. I don't think about saving those people by trying harder. Sorry, but I only can say to use the Core Store wisely. I only have the power to reach out to my family. For now.

Surely, the cafeteria in the headquarters is celebrating the new year. The market and Shingen's base must be lively. I spent about 10 million yen, spreading it around.

"To make this year a good one, I'll give New Year's gifts."

I summon the Equivalent Exchange Store. A list is displayed, so I choose new items to expand the chain.

[Low-level Potion: C Core 1. Heals minor injuries.]

"A low-level potion with a C-rank core is quite pathetic."

It's a design that's unthinkable in games. It's hard to believe that a low-level potion is worth the effort of defeating a Sahagin leader. I tried it against goblins, but it only healed minor cuts. It didn't respond to broken bones or wounds that reached the internal organs.

Like the initial potions, you can't repeatedly use them for recovery. You can't layer recovery. It's a cruel design, almost tear-inducing.

"Dungeon specifications are just like that. However, they should be somewhat useful."

"That's right. Training is tough, and injuries don't stop. Low-level potions are appreciated."

Both Shizuku and Yukihana agree with the chain of low-level potions. I sell this for 3 C Cores, amounting to 90,000 yen. I think it's impossible for everyday training, though.

"We have plenty of C Cores, right? We plan to use them for sprains. Other injuries are badges of training. If you're not afraid of sprains, you can train a bit more."

"It's a terrifying Spartan regimen. But, yeah, let's go with that. I want to add something else."

Training without fearing sprains is terrifying. Yukihana is a strict instructor.

"Milk. We can use the refrigerator now. Cheese is good. Camembert cheese."

"Dairy cows consume a lot of resources. I think milk is good. Let's add premium milk too."

"All the dairy cows will be wiped out. But, if we don't need feed for dairy cows, we can have some leeway. Hmm, no, it's no good. If for some reason the Core Store becomes unusable, and all the dairy cows get wiped out, it would be bad. I don't want to give up drinking milk. Let's go with powdered milk."

It can be used in cooking, and many people prefer milk over powdered milk. It also means I'm dead when that time comes.

[Powdered Milk 1kg: E Core 1]

I press the button, and powdered milk appears with a clatter. I'm relieved that only powdered milk appeared. It's in a glass jar.

Yukihana brought a box for transferring, so I switched them. I lick it, and it tastes like regular powdered milk.

"Let's try dissolving it in hot water."

I put powdered milk in a cup and dissolved it in hot water. To try it. Hmm, well, it might be a good substitute for cooking with milk. It leaves a powdery taste in the mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test