30 October 2023

Mob MC 326.2

Test

Chapter 326.2. The Marchioness Enfeoffment Ceremony


-Masatoshi's POV-

The nobles radiated a different kind of silence than before, watching this scene unfold. It was understandable; nobody knew how to react to this situation.

"Are you okay, Countess Takano?" 

For some reason, the new Emperor addressed her, though not to offer help but with a greater sense of exasperation.

"Yes, I'm okay! I put the Golden Melon Pans in a plastic bag!" 

The gray-haired girl responded cheerfully, taking two golden melon bread rolls from her chest and handing them to a waiting-maid. Victory couldn't help but shudder at her fearless attitude and carelessness.

"These Golden Melon Pans are a rare commodity; only three are made each month. They usually go for 5 million yen, but they are all sold out through reservations!" 

She proudly explained, and the maid took them from her with a swift movement.

"Is this some kind of advertising, Countess Takano?" 

The new Emperor asked his look now tinged with bewilderment. It seemed he had decided to indulge the gray-haired girl in her whims rather than getting irritated as he did earlier.

I had to agree. It didn't seem like an act; she genuinely seemed to be enjoying herself.

She brushed the dirt off her dress, and the maid took her tiara, which seemed like it might fall, due to the large gemstones attached to it. It must have been quite heavy.

"Well, I guess you shouldn't wear things that don't really suit you. I tripped; it was very heavy."

Next, the maid approached and removed a necklace adorned with large, heavy diamonds from the gray-haired girl's neck.

"It did look quite heavy, so be more careful next time."

The new Emperor chuckled his smile void of the earlier annoyance. But the Prime Minister standing next to him had a pale face. Why? What was off in the gray-haired girl's seemingly silly words?

"This is terrible. You have a terrible personality, Houretsu." 

The Prime Minister whispered with a faint laugh, which startled me. As I looked around, many nobles had varying reactions, from grimaces to pale, and subtle laughter.

I didn't understand. Perhaps there was a deeper meaning to this exchange.

"Father..." 

I tried to ask but was hushed by a finger on my lips. It didn't suit his rough and tough image.

"Shut up. You'll understand soon." 

I had apparently let my thoughts show on my face which resulted in a punch. Ouch, I messed up.

I returned my gaze to the gray-haired girl. I couldn't fathom the significance of the recent exchange.

It seemed neither could the new Emperor, who appeared deflated, unaware of the Prime Minister's silent appeal.

"From now on, I'll be more careful not to fall, Your Majesty. Once again, I would like to greet the great Emperor!"

"Likewise, I, Takano Houretsu, greet the great Emperor."

Finally, the greetings were over, and the new Emperor's expression sharpened. He nodded, displaying a sense of tension.

"Yes, I'm glad you came, Countess Takano, and Houretsu."

The standard lengthy speech began, filled with talk of past achievements, future expectations, the need for loyalty, and even a few attempts to assert dominance.

Yawning and trying to stay awake, I finally heard the speech conclude. The new Emperor then got to the main point.

"Now, Countess Takano Miu will inherit the title of Count from her father and be enfeoffed as a Marchioness. Any objections?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, I humbly accept." 

The gray-haired girl nodded obediently.

"Very well. Takano Houretsu, you will be Count Takano. Any objections?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, I humbly accept." 

Houretsu also nodded coolly, and then both of them recited their vows. Surprisingly, they remembered them well and didn't falter despite the length.

I had been quite nervous, and I felt relieved when that part was over.

Now it was time for the main event.

"To reward your past accomplishments, your role in saving the people at the Grand Martial Arts Tournament, and your part in healing the petrified Royal Guards, along with the confiscated assets of Duke Kanna and other nobles..."

The new Emperor paused for a moment, making sure everyone's attention was on him.

"I intend to give you 30% of the assets of the nobles as a reward. Any objections?"

It had finally arrived, just as Shin had said. This reward would give the Takano Marquisate assets and power that would be unmatched, even by the Emperor.

With trepidation, I gazed at the gray-haired girl, wondering if she would gratefully nod and accept this enormous windfall. However, she surprised everyone. 

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty, but I cannot accept those rewards."

Amid the murmurs of the surrounding nobles, the gray-haired girl continued.

"As I mentioned earlier, I cannot accept things that do not suit me, as they may cause me to trip. So, I cannot accept these rewards."

Unbeknownst to me, the gray-haired girl had transformed her demeanor into one that radiated an intense aura, as if she had grown cold and authoritative in just moments. She addressed the new Emperor with an unexpected refusal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test