12 October 2023

Mob MC 308.1

Test

Chapter 308.1. Mion's Blessing


-Masatoshi's POV-

With an overwhelming display of power, Masatoshi emerged triumphant, basking in the cheers and praise of the crowd. He casually smiled and waved as he left the arena. 

Sometimes, I wonder if my name, "Masatoshi" is a problem in these situations. When they talk about "Masatoshi's victory" it might not make much sense, right?

Masatoshi was deep in philosophical thoughts about his name, but laughter interrupted his noble contemplation. 

"Ahahaha, why did Masatoshi roll down the stairs of the arena?" 

"Dang, I stumbled a bit. I was waving to the crowd."

It was Mion, laughing heartily with her friends, despite having been genuinely concerned just moments ago.

I wiped the remaining mud from my face, looking a bit frustrated. I was leaving the arena and tried to graciously acknowledge the cheering audience. But I stumbled and fell.

"Well, well, Masatoshi-san. The way you tumbled down those stairs at the end got more attention than your victory. I even managed to snap a picture."

"Thank you, Sena-san. If you want a picture of me, feel free to ask anytime. Can you give me the pictures you took in return?"

"I'm afraid I've already submitted them to the news. The footage should be on news sites soon. Your staircase descent was worth a standing ovation. It's like a professional comedian."

"Isn't it too soon to hand it over to the TV stations? Where's the personal data protection law when you need it?"

Finally, Masatoshi added a retort to Sena-san's gentle teasing. It seemed he had reached the limits of escapism. 

Nevertheless, the two of them were conversing more casually than before, suggesting we had grown closer. However, Sena-san's teasing had become more relentless.

We were currently in a restaurant, conducting a post-match celebration, or what they referred to as an "interrogation session.".

"So, Mion, there's no doubt you were kidnapped by Nidhogg, right?"

"Yeah. Somehow, I was locked in a capsule with Aburage-san's family."

"Aburage Viscounty, huh? So, you get rescued while they were trying to save Aburage Tamamo, is that it?"

Mion tried to recollect the hazy memories with her index finger on her chin, but they seemed to elude her. She spoke as she twisted her head.

"That's right. We were suddenly back at the hotel, right?"

"Yeah, Director and the others were crying. It was quite a shock."

"I don't remember anything."

"Can we have some more parfait, please?"

Of course, it wasn't just Mion; the other children from the orphanage were also present. 

Masatoshi and the others occupied a corner of the somewhat upscale restaurant, causing a commotion. He observed their behavior and felt relieved that no child seemed to be feeling unwell.

Some children were setting up flags, like coughing or having red eyes, causing me to worry.

"More rice, please!"

"Another serving of roast hornbear cow steak, please."

"I'll have 2 more servings of the course meal."

"Bring us all the different kinds of cakes."

Despite my worries and the kind concern of Director, the children didn't hesitate to order more food, but how many servings of sautéed foie gras are they eating?

Well, it's a good thing they're in good spirits, I thought, smiling. They're loud and unreserved, which is more like them and makes me feel at ease.

"Well, Mion-san, I heard you were cursed, but Mii-chan used recovery magic on you, right?"

"Yeah, she said it was some sort of time-limited curse or something... it turns people into a monster when triggered."

Sena-san asked with a concerned tone, and Mion continued cutting her steak and casually explained, chewing with a calm face. This girl had an iron will, considering she narrowly avoided a tragic fate.

I could imagine it. It's a classic template often used in anime and novels, the "depressing development". 

People become human bombs, merging with animals, and ending up in hopeless situations. It was a common plot used in the Night of Magic with characters like Teijou Mashiro.

"Well, you probably didn't feel it at the time. You might have turned into a monster with my body swelling like a balloon, sprouting an extra head, and muttering 'Me-dee Me-dee.'."

"Yes, that might be true. But then, Masatoshi would have to come to my rescue."

"I can't."

Mion laughed wickedly, and I immediately declined with a serious face.

"Terrible! You're supposed to say you'd help in a situation like that!"

"Let me tell you... I've learned from experience that when you respond to that kind of conversation by saying you'll help, the other person usually knows they'll soon be in dire straits."

Mion pierced her steak with a fork, took a bite, and smiled slyly.

I wanted to avoid that kind of cliche. You have to preemptively squash those flags.

"Masatoshi-san, that's your way of showing compassion, right? Hehe."

"Yes, that's right."

Sena-san smiled sweetly at me, and I absentmindedly pushed my hair back, still holding a fork. I ended up with sauce in my hair.

Seeing the sauce dripping from my hair, Sena-san worried, while Mion burst into laughter.

"... Should I help you clean that?"

"Masatoshi has red hair. So it won't stand out, Sena."

"A wet towel, please."

I needed to wipe my hair. 

Sena-san's gaze shifted from my hair to the conversation.

"After the healing, did you experience any aftereffects?"

"Well, there's actually something."

"Something? What is it? Is it the curse's negative effect?"

I got taken aback by the unexpected bombshell statement. 

However, Mion waved her hand and denied it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test