08 October 2023

Mob MC 303.2

Test

Chapter 303.2. Noble Quarrel


-Miu's Dad POV-

I had planned to speak with my wife, but now I had to step in.

"Hmm... that's problematic. I believe Kanna Noriku's actions had malicious intent, but the extent of it is the issue."

"Your Majesty, if you would allow me to speak, I can explain the situation from my perspective."

Birei raised her hand with a stern expression. While her heart was full of concern for Miu, she was likely angry inside for being dragged into this farce.

However, the Emperor did not grant permission despite wearing a thoughtful expression.

"I can grant permission, but you wouldn't understand the situation. You, without mana, wouldn't be able to judge the size of the mana Kanna Norikp used, right?"

"Even if the guards could speak, this situation would be resolved. But given their current illness... Your Majesty, I believe it's evidence that they, too, were acting in excessive self-defense. We would like Takano County to be punished, including compensation, of course."

It was unbelievable that the one who attempted to harm my wife was making themselves out to be the victim. To apologize to the one who tried to harm my beloved wife? I couldn't accept it. For the first time in a while, I felt strong anger. It made my stomach churn.

As I was about to protest it, my father raised his hand to stop him.

"Your Majesty, we've reached an impasse in this discussion. Just as those with mana can't understand the sensations of those without it, those without mana cannot comprehend the sensations of those with it."

"Is that so? It may indeed be the case. Those who feel like we've had a rubber bullet aimed at us might understand, but those without mana might feel like a real pistol is pointed at them."

The Emperor exhaled, then tapped the table with his fingers.

"So, what do you intend to do? Do you have a solution?"

"Yes, I propose a duel between our households. Since it seems we won't reach an agreement through discussion."

Internally shocked and about to stop my father, I realized the sharp look in my father's eyes. This could only be resolved through a duel. No, at this rate, we would lose.

I felt regret that I lacked experience in dealing with such a situation. While commoners could end such disputes through a normal trial, it seemed nobles preferred a rougher resolution.

It made me question the meaning behind the name "nobility".

"We have no objections. Of course, if it's between our households, the compensation will be significant. We'll request the transfer of real estate in Kamakura and Tokyo and ownership of the stocks we hold in various venture companies."

I was astonished by the astronomical offer made by Duke Kanna. Those were the very foundations of Takano County's prosperity, even after Miu became a Marquess.

It was an outrageous proposal, and he was about to reject it when...

"I accept that proposal! If I win, I'll take Duke Kanna's magic tools!"

With a loud bang, the restaurant's massive doors swung open, and my beloved daughter's voice resounded before us.

With a loud crash, the security personnel who had been thrown into the air and against the wall turned their attention to the source of the voice.

"Mii-chan, you're back?"

"Yeah! Takano Miu has just returned after finishing her training with Tamamo-chan!"

Standing proudly at the entrance where the doors had blown open, Miu smiled cheerfully. Strangely, she had a toy cowboy doll perched on her shoulder.

Beside her were the members of Aburage Viscounty, and it seemed she successfully rescued them. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"I had a tough time... all the way in Hokkaido."

"Em-chan found me on the way, and if it weren't for teleportation, we couldn't have come here."

"I wonder if that was an illusion?"

The members of Aburage Viscounty looked a bit weary but overall seemed well. It must have been quite an ordeal for them.

"Countess Takano... Very well, we shall accept your proposal."

Duke Kanna frowned slightly, but as if he had realized something, he twisted his lips into a smile and agreed.

"Very well. Then I shall allow the duel between our households to take place on the final day of the martial arts tournament. Is that acceptable to everyone?"

"Yes, we accept."

"Mii-chan's okay with it too!"

When the Emperor clapped his hands and permitted the duel, Duke Kanna respectfully bowed his head, and Miwa nodded in agreement.

"Ugh... this is disgusting."

And then, Miu made a face, as if something was bothering her, and collapsed as if her strength had left her.

"Miu!"

"Mii-chan!"

My wife and I rushed over in a panic. She seemed fine a moment ago; could it have been an illusion?

"Hehe, it seems Countess Takano is exhausted. I can't see a speck of mana in her. I hope she recovers by the final day."

Duke Kanna must have known this and agreed to the duel. But my worry for my daughter far outweighed my anger. I held her in my arms; she felt incredibly light.

Honestly, she always worried me. I gently stroked Miu's head and hugged her tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop 81

Test